Here's a finishing doosie

CJC5151

I have been hired to build shelves to hold nail polish. The lady has seven nail salons in the city. Great gig and i really want the job But i dont think I can meet her requirements. The problem is in the finish. She wants a high gloss finish thant the can clean any accidental spills with acetone and not affect the finish. Is that possible. acetone will take off any finish i would put on, i think. Any suggestions, I really need the job. Thanks guys

Epoxy would work. UNcured epoxy can be softened and removed with acetone. CURED epoxy might get dulled if you leave a lot on to soak for a long time, but it won't change in the scenario you point out. Cure times differ based on manufacturer chemistry and which hardener you use so read the instructions on that.

Epoxy would give you the protective surface. You can polish it to a high gloss.

General Finishes Pre-Cat Urethane (water-based) has pretty good chemical resistance. However, the key word is "resistance" sorta like a watch that is water resistant and not fully water proof. A spill must be cleaned and wiped up, soon as possible.

http://www.generalfinishes.com/sites/default/files/Perform-Data-Enduro-Pre-Cat-Urethane-113009-pdf.pdf

A suggestion would be glass liner. Could be removed and cleaned?

-Ace-

The epoxy route is what I would recommend. Use a quality product that has a "clear cure" West system 105 resin and their 207 clear hardener would be perfect. As long as the shelves would not be exposed to direct sunlight there shouldn't be any issues. If they will, then not sure what to say. A glass cover / liner over any kind of finish like what was suggested above would be another good alternative IMO..