Just changed the knives on my Ridgid 6" jointer

Nick2cd

i didn't realize how bad it had become. i have been avoiding this task like the plague due to all of the horror stories i've heard. i was in the middle of milling up some stock for a small project when i noticed it was getting way too difficult to push boards over the knives. furthermore, the surface of the wood was lackluster as best. it had somewhat of a furry appearance in some spots. after board number 2, i knew i had to stop right there.

it was getting late and darkness was starting to set in. btw, i keep my jointer on my back porch which is covered by a roof (think carport). anyways, i figured i would at least get the old knives off and the new ones in before it was pitch black outside. i had planned on adjusting them tomorrow night. well, i got into a rhythm and before i knew it i had all 3 knives in and set. i wasn't able to beat the darkness, but i had to keep going, as i was on a roll. i have a light outside that made the task manageable. anyways, i set the knives using a machinists dial that i bought from harbor freight and a magnetic holder that i also purchased from harbor freight. im not a big harbor freight advocate, but due to recommendations from some fine gentlemen on this forum, i picked up these items. im so glad i did. i couldn't have completed this task without these tools. i was able to get all three of the knives within 1 thousandth from the one side of the knife to the other. the machinists dial cost me approximately $12.50 and i believe the on/off magnetic base was approximately $15. Now, it cuts just like butta' baby! so glad to have this task behind me. here are the links to my dial and holder in case anyone is interested. looks like they r on sale right now.

http://www.harborfre...=machinist+dial

http://www.harborfre...tment-5645.html

I gave up on my Rigid knife change when I couldn't get the knives low enough, no matter how much I backed off the set screws. Maybe I'll go back and take another stab at it. Where did you get your knives? I got the Freud C400 6-1/8-by-11/16-by-1/8-Inch Jointer Knives, 3-Pack .

Beech,

i bought the same knives. i purchased mine on amazon.com anyways, you have to back off the set screws (there are 4 of them) and you do this with the included wrench.....but also, to get the knives lower you have to drop the jack screws. these are right behind the knives and you do this with the included allen wrench. i can snap some pics of them if you'd like. just let me know. the jack screws are what allow you to make fine adjustments to each side of the knives. my basic procedure was to drop the jack screws (by screwing them clockwise) and lowering the knife well below where i wanted it. then i tightened the set screws just enough to hold the knives in place under their own weight. then i lifted the 2 jack screws until the knives were at the perfect height. hope this helps. lemme know

• Like 1

Nick - have you been pleased with those knives? Have you had to get them sharpened yet?

John,

i literally just put them on a few hours ago. i did, however, joint several boards and the knives performed quite well. once i've logged some board feet on these things, maybe i'll put a review up in the new "reviews" section of the forum.

Beech,

i bought the same knives. i purchased mine on amazon.com anyways, you have to back off the set screws (there are 4 of them) and you do this with the included wrench.....but also, to get the knives lower you have to drop the jack screws. these are right behind the knives and you do this with the included allen wrench. i can snap some pics of them if you'd like. just let me know. the jack screws are what allow you to make fine adjustments to each side of the knives. my basic procedure was to drop the jack screws (by screwing them clockwise) and lowering the knife well below where i wanted it. then i tightened the set screws just enough to hold the knives in place under their own weight. then i lifted the 2 jack screws until the knives were at the perfect height. hope this helps. lemme know

Nick,

I'm about to replace the blades with the same Freud blades. Could you take some phoots of what you were explaning?

Thanks Todd

Ok, here's the picture. to get you oriented, the top of the pic is the outfeed table, the bottom of the pic is the infeed table. the four black screws across the middle are the set screws. turning the set screws clockwise will loosen the blades and couter-clockwise tightens them. it's the opposite of your natural instinct because the set screws are just wedging a hunk of iron into the knives to hold them in place. you'll see what im talking about as soon as you take out the first knife. the chopstick is pointing to one of the two jack screws that you use to make fine adjustments. the jack screws take an allen wrench to raise and lower. the new blades will be taller than your old, worn blades so you will probably have to lower the jack screws to get the blades low enough. when setting the blades, the most important thing is to get them all the same height in relation to one another. for example, try to get all the knives to stand 3 thousandths proud of the outfeed table. you can always raise or lower the outfeed table accordingly. i hope this helps

photo-23.jpg