forstner bit sets

Eric.

I've got a fairly decent collection of forstners, but there are some holes in it (no pun intended) and a number of them have seen better days. Thinking about getting myself a nice, comprehensive set for Christmas. Any recommendations? Lee Valley has a set of 29 bits, but it's about $370. I was hoping to get as many bits as possible for under $200...just don't wanna buy junk to stay under budget. Preferably HSS...don't think I'll spring for the carbide since I'll be using these on a limited basis for "special" projects.

What are your favorites?

My first set was a basic el cheapo set which I still have today, well sort of. As they got dull, I would replace individual bits with Freud bits. I now probably have half el cheapo bits(still sharp) and half replacement Freud bits. If you're set on buying a set, this one from Freud is well within your budget. Depending on how many bits you need to replace and add you could be better off just buying some individual sizes to complete what you now have.

if you're going Lee Valley (what I have) get the 1/4" - 1" 13 piece set for $92. If memory serves, I have 2 bits larger than 1", and they were both purchase for a specific project. The 29 piece set is overkill in my opinion. Why waste $40 on a 3" Forster bit that will probably never get used?

Whenever possible I try and use a sacrificial backup board underneath the board I'm drilling to prevent that from happening.

Yeah, I do that too. But I'm talking about at the beginning of the cut. Cheap bits have a tendancy to tear out if they aren't engineered with a decent scoring mechanism. Those Lee Valley lipped brad-points look killer.

I recently had a chance to try out FISH forstner bits and was really impressed. Their "wave-cutter" bits cut cool and smooth. I used them on a few recent projects.

They're available at McFeeleys and Amazon.com also.  7 Piece Wavy Bit Set Includes: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" 1" for about $145.