Spokeshave

nateswoodworks

Does anybody have any experience with these, I enjoy doing tuning and finessing but I don't want complete junk either. I already have my main spokeshave but would like to see how much I would use the variety before spending on top-shelf, any input or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32681&cat=1,50230&ap=1

Well, it isn't what you asked, but I have no experience with those spokeshaves. However, Lee-Valley's other spokeshaves are excellent. I got the three-pack, which came in a roll. I have used them for shaping a lot of curved pieces for a bathroom remodel as well as completely shaping varying-length handles for a closet built-in. Further, I got their pull-shave for working a drawer front. It works very very well. By comparison, I've seen some "convex" spokeshaves... what an engineering punt. They take a regular spokeshave and put a convex blade on it. Presumably if you are working the bottom of a cove or something, the handles that flare out laterally will have you knocking knuckles on the surface and maybe not even getting to the bottom of that cove (even a shaped seat bottom would be a knuckle buster). The pull-shave rocks for this.

I have one but have had little success with them. I am sure that is because I haven't assigned too much time in truing, setting it up, and of course the practice time. But I have found that they can be very useful in rough removal of wood on concave curves and knocking off corners to soften an edge/. I know that with more time it could be a much more useful tool.

LQQK

I have one but have had little success with them. I am sure that is because I haven't assigned too much time in truing, setting it up, and of course the practice time. But I have found that they can be very useful in rough removal of wood on concave curves and knocking off corners to soften an edge/. I know that with more time it could be a much more useful tool.

LQQK

Knowing you, I'm surprised you haven't taken the time to tune and learn the use of the spokeshaves, especially regarding your mirror frame project, with all those curves. What DID you use?

Knowing you, I'm surprised you haven't taken the time to tune and learn the use of the spokeshaves, especially regarding your mirror frame project, with all those curves. What DID you use?

Well.....rough cut with a jig saw, hand planed the front and back; then used a router (hard on the climb cuts), the spokeshave (just not a lot), and then a flexible sanding strip to really smooth it out. The round overs and rear rabbets were all router work.

LQQK

Well.....rough cut with a jig saw, hand planed the front and back; then used a router (hard on the climb cuts), the spokeshave (just not a lot), and then a flexible sanding strip to really smooth it out. The round overs and rear rabbets were all router work.

LQQK

When do you think you'll post the vids? Either way, make sure you let me know.

When do you think you'll post the vids? Either way, make sure you let me know.

Well.....I want to finish it before I post the videos. But I have considered many times just editing it down a little and posting as is. I know it would make many people happy but who would want that? Something to do at work I suppose. I'll see what I can do to get some of the 28+ hours whittled down.

LQQK

Well.....I want to finish it before I post the videos. But I have considered many times just editing it down a little and posting as is. I know it would make many people happy but who would want that? Something to do at work I suppose. I'll see what I can do to get some of the 28+ hours whittled down.

LQQK

Yes, please!! I don't think I can devote 28 hours. Maybe the high points. Sorry, Lord. Let me rephrase that...maybe the more critical points. :P

Consider the proper spokeshaves from LV that Paul posted. Personally, I much prefer the Brian Boggs style from Lie Nielson. I just find the much easier to use and more balanced in my hand. But the LV ones are cheaper and always get good reviews. Honestly, when you start using a really nicely made spokeshave it's a eureka moment! They can be such a joy to use. I'm not a hand tool nut, I have one hand plane. But spoke shaves are easily my most favoured tool in the workshop. I find myself designing elements into my work that include spokeshave work! ;)

What is the difference in design of the Brian Boggs spokeshave? I've seen them on the LN site, but haven't handled one to know what the difference is. I've seen a DVD from Brian about chair-making (the one from LN's site); highly recommended.

For me, the Veritas spokeshaves I linked to really feel good in my hands. Gets to the point where you develop a number of 'holds' for different shaping operations.

I do use my spokeshaves quite regularly, mainly when building canoe and kayak paddles and secondarily canoes and kayaks themselves. They are great for odd little curves and shaping shafts that aren't "round". There really is no other took in my shop that will allow me to ovalise a paddle shaft like my spokeshaves. I inherited my shaves form my Grandfather, I know one is at least 100 years old. I have replace the iron in the old one, after 95 years of sharpening it was just too short.. Based on that, I know that Lee Valley manufactures great tools, (Lord knows I have more than a few of their items in my shop), but in my experience the spokeshave itself is secondary to the quality and sharpness of the blade. You can put an excellent blade in an old shave body and do great work. You can put a crappy blade in the finest tool out there and ruin every project it touches. Whatever you decide on, make sure the blade is the heart and soul of it's quality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are not opposed to rehabbing and tuning tools then here is my two cents. Buy a Stanley 151 model spokeshave it really doesn't matter how long ago it was made. Take a 4" mill file and get the paint off of the bed and true it up. Then flatten the sole on some sandpaper on a flat surface (I use a small granite offcut). Then plop in a new hock blade and make sure the cap iron fits tightly to the iron and "Bob's your uncle!"