Finishing Mahogany with Danish Oil

sbarton22

I turned a small bowl out of mahogany. To finish it, I wanted a penetrating oil before I buffed it.

Upon further review, I'm not sure how successful my decision was. My mentor said that's how he finished his, so I went right along. I understand that danish oil will cure in the wood and strengthen the final product. I also know that most oils will add a warm tone and generally pop the wood grain.

The reason I started to question it was because no matter how much I flooded the surface, the mahogany just sucked it right up. I must have 6-8 coats on a thin bowl (less than 1/4" thick). (FYI, I would flood the surface for 30+ minutes and wiped off any excess and let dry for 18-24 hours). I guess I am expecting the wood to stop absorbing it at some point and, more or less, begin to seal the surface.

Maybe I am thinking incorrectly about what the danish oil is actually going to do?? Should I be simply looking for the oil to imbue a warmth on the wood and cure inside the wood, but my buffing is going to do the final aesthetic work?

I feel like I am missing something.

Honestly, if you want a film, try a couple coats of a wiping poly. Danish oil is an oil/varnish blend and can be used to build a light film. But it sounds like your wood is particularly "thirsty" and it isn't giving you the opportunity to build one. So I say give it a day or two to cure and then wipe on a couple light coats of Minwax Wiping Poly or Arm-R-Seal. That should give you the aesthetic you are going for.

Thanks for the advice.

Was I correct in my initial assumption of what the danish oil should have been doing...warming the color, popping the grain, and stregnthing the bowl from the inside out?

A light film is about all I really wanted at the most I just used the Arm-R-Seal for the first time on an a Xmas present and I REALLY, REALLY liked the result. I might try that.

I stand corrected. I was using the GF High Performance water based poly and it dries clear. I specifically bought it because it dries clear.

I wasn't remembering that a regular poly will imbue the wood with a warm color as well.

Ok, now I think about how to finish this next piece. Thanks!