wood bending/steam box

duckkisser

i have seen lots of plans for people who have built steam boxes but i would like to see a picture of anyone that has a set up that i can incorporate into the classroom. if you have a box set up can you send me a picture of it as well as any bending station that you might have and how you produce your steam.

• 1 month later...

I just read an article today about steam bending in an old fww. I'd offer to scan it and send a pdf if I was sure it wasn't a copywrite infraction. Or, I'd be willing to mail it to you, on loan. You can check their site, but it's from June, 2002 issue - not sure it'd be available. It's comprehensive, but not sure if it's worth buying a back issue.

It offered suggestions for set-ups ranging from the electric teapot to a shop made outfit with what appeared to be a 30 gallon tank and a double propane burner. Covered the entire process - equipment options - wood selection - timing and temp requirements - tips for the jig. And there is a follow-up article covering a "tension band" jig for more dramatic curves. It supports the stretching edge to avoid failure and forces the inside edge to compress.

A friend recently ran in the National Toboggan Championship in Camden and he challenged me to build a sled for next year's race. I had been reviewing articles on-line and viewing you tubes to develop an understanding of the process but still had questions. After reading this article (which was right under my nose in my shop collection) I feel I have a good enough handle on what's required that I'm going to start and collect the required components this weekend.

My take is that tight straight wood grain, acheiving and maintaining 200 degrees in the chamber and a well thought out bending form are the keys. And a few test runs. I'm considering adding some interest to a wall hung tool cabinet I've been planning. Maybe a slight bow-out on the top rail of the face frame. Close it in to the face of the cabinet and install a few fancy can lights.

Contact me through this site if you're interested.

• 3 weeks later...

If you can wait until after June 6, I can relay what I learn from a class I'm taking on June 2 and 3 from Seth Rolland. It's covering all the basics of bending, including building a steam box and purchasing steam equipment.

All you need is a 1/2" copper pipe the length of your box with holes drilled in it. Get a copper tube and "t" put the "t" in the center of the tube. Cap off both ends and drill a bunch of small holes down the length of the tube. Drill your box so that the "t" sticks out the side. Connect a cheap wall paper steamer $50 at lowes to the "t".

Don