Shop Soundproofing Idea...

WorkTheWood

I am trying to figure out how to best soundproof the ceiling of my basement shop. Here is an idea I am considering (it's probably not an original idea - I imagine somebody else has done this).

I'll try to explain this as good as I can.

In each floor cavity, I am thinking about layering 1/2" drywall (sheetrock). On either side of the cavity, I would install some supports to hold the drywall. Think of these supports almost like they are shelf supports. Think of the drywall like it is the shelf. I have attached a very crude drawing. In each cavity I would:

• Leave a 1 inch air gap at the top
  • Install a "layer" of 1/2" drywall
  • Caulk/tape all edges to prevent airflow
    • Leave another 1 inch gap
    • Install a "layer" of 1/2" drywall
    • Caulk/tape all edges to prevent airflow

[*]Leave another 1 inch gap

[*]Install a "layer" of 1/2" drywall

[*]Caulk/tape all edges to prevent airflow

And finally, I am going to install a drop ceiling below all of this. I am hoping the sealed air pockets, combined with 1.5 inches of total drywall, and then a drop ceiling will really help to reduce the noise.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Overkill? I am open to any and all ideas!

post-6281-0-73769100-1326987996_thumb.jp

Hello!

You may want to rethink this approach as these air gaps in the cavities could actually turn into resonators. It may make low frequency sound transmission even worse! Personally, I would put fiberglass bats in the joist cavities to stop the sound from bouncing around, then cover the ceiling with two layers of drywall to add mass. Offset the drywall seams and seal the first layer seams with caulk. You can even add a special adhesive between the layers, called Green Glue to further reduce sound transmission. You may want to check out AVS Forum for some soundproofing ideas.

http://www.greengluecompany.com/

http://www.avsforum.com

Auralex is an acoustic treatment manufacturer that also has some great ideas for reducing sound transmission on their website.

http://www.acoustics101.com/ceilings.asp

I've done some research in this area already as the wife has agreed to a dedicated theater room... after the master bathroom is finished, and the house has new siding, and I upgrade the electrical, and repaint the upstairs, and put an addition on the kitchen... and... I think my wife tricked me. :angry:

Have fun! :D

• Like 1

I don’t know how effective Roxul is for attenuating the noise from woodworking machines. It’s sold mostly for residential use to keep floor to floor noise down. Maybe someone can comment on Roxul from personal experience. I also don’t know if Roxul would attenuate the shop sounds as much as you want. It may even require two layers which would double the cost.

Here’s a WTO link that Chet started on soundproofing his shop wall. I don’t know how much was discussed on ceiling sound proofing, but the principles are the same. I posted a few links on soundproofing that are good to read for learning about sound “proofing” walls. A lot of good comments were made, however Chet went a very different route than all of the recommendation which I think you’ll find interesting.

Do not leave an air gap between the layers of drywall. Green glue is too expensive. You need what is called a MSM system (Mass/spring/mass). Any wall/ceiling/floor acts as a drumhead and will transmit sound. The point of MSM is to make the natural harmonic frequency too low to hear (under 20 Hz). You are correct in adding the drywall to the underside of the floor, you now need a spring (hollow cavity filled with cellulose insulation works well) and then another mass, similar to what the floor is. The 2 masses cannot come into contact with each other in any way, or sound will travel through it. Try a bit of studying on this site: http://johnlsayers.com/Recmanual/index.htm Just click the test to the right for each subject.

Expense is in the wallet of the beholder.

#1 I'd focus your efforts on the ceiling, not (under) the floor area. The goal is to prevent as much vibration as possible from entering the original framing.

#2 Use the cheapest R19 fiberglass you can find. Data clearly shows it working as well as anything exotic. Insulation helps, but just a bit, so don't get carried away on insulation. We don't ever want to compact it.

#3 Consider decoupling the ceiling drywall from the joists with competant resilient clips and channel.

#4 Use double 5/8" drywall. The cheap $8 a sheet stuff. A field application of damping compound will add several STC points to this assembly

#5 If you can, drop the ceiling height so that the ceiling drywall contacts the foundation. Seal it to the foundation. This puts a complete lid on the area and you can avoid treating the walls.

I would avoid costly items that intuitively seem to add value but simply add cost. Pre-damped drywall, cotton insulation, Mass Loaded Vinyl. are classic examples.

• 1 month later...