Freud Quadra Cut" raised panel bit

rodger.

Well I'm new here, and I was surprised there were so few tool reviews. I thought I would add a review to help get the numbers up!

I am currently building a kitchen Island, and I need to build some raised panel doors to match the existing kitchen. Typically, I make doors and end panels with 1/4 inch plywood panels, but I want to use a raised panel on this project to match the rest of the kitchen.

Anyways, since I typically don't make raised panels, I needed to buy a bit. I bought a Freud Quadra-Cut 3.5" Ogee raised panel bit (model 99-520). It is a newer addition to the Freud Line up, and has 4 cutting edges. I thought it would be a good investment for my collection, so i bought one for 99.00.

I did some test cuts this afternoon, and I am really impressed with this bit. The bit cut through the brown maple test piece like butter. I used a series of 3 passes on a 2.5 HP router set at 12,000 RPM.

The results were excellent.

post-6372-0-28446200-1327448990_thumb.jppost-6372-0-23290800-1327449062_thumb.jppost-6372-0-95307400-1327449121_thumb.jppost-6372-0-61446400-1327449126_thumb.jp

To be fair, however, I didn't do any cross grain cuts - I didn't have a panel size piece of scrap lying around. When I make the panels for the island, I'll update this review and post a pic or two.

The dust was a bit more than what I am used to. There were also some "fluffy" sections of saw dust, very light. This is probably from the extra two cutters shaving over the profile.

Overall, I am impressed and will buy more of the Quarda-Cut bits. I typically use Lee Valley Bits, but will now buy the Freud if available in the same profile.

-pug

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wanted to alert WTO members to a potential shopping opportunity (which I discovered quite by accident and took heavy advantage of)...

Freud was making 'Quadra Cut' bits before they came-up with the 'Quadra Cut' marketing campaign/trade dress/improved packaging/etc. In some cases, these bits are still on the shelves...and labeled 'discontinued'... I just took delivery of five raised-panel Freud 'quadra cut' bits for between $49.95 and $54/each because they were in the pre-quadra cut packaging and 'discontinued'. The Quadra-cut labeled versions are between $94.95 and $103.95 each. I opened the packaging last night and confirmed they are the same bits, just in the old-style boxes...

I got mine from Amazon...

Now, before you all run-out and shop Amazon, I realized what was going on and got as many as I could add to my shopping cart --- I got the last ones in three different profiles, so I think they may only have a couple left... But I bet other retailers are in the same situation... Maybe worth a look...

Anyway, good luck and happy hunting...

• Like 1

Wanted to alert WTO members to a potential shopping opportunity (which I discovered quite by accident and took heavy advantage of)...

Freud was making 'Quadra Cut' bits before they came-up with the 'Quadra Cut' marketing campaign/trade dress/improved packaging/etc. In some cases, these bits are still on the shelves...and labeled 'discontinued'... I just took delivery of five raised-panel Freud 'quadra cut' bits for between $49.95 and $54/each because they were in the pre-quadra cut packaging and 'discontinued'. The Quadra-cut labeled versions are between $94.95 and $103.95 each. I opened the packaging last night and confirmed they are the same bits, just in the old-style boxes...

I got mine from Amazon...

Now, before you all run-out and shop Amazon, I realized what was going on and got as many as I could add to my shopping cart --- I got the last ones in three different profiles, so I think they may only have a couple left... But I bet other retailers are in the same situation... Maybe worth a look...

Anyway, good luck and happy hunting...

I'd say that is a hell of a deal!