Crooked woodworkers

dwacker

Thought I'd share the crooked woodworker story of the week. A few years ago I sold a older woman a new kitchen full of honduran mahogany cabinets. She decided she wanted to get rid of the raised panel doors and go with inset flat panels. I quoted the job last month. She called me yesterday crying and said she had someone else do the job cheaper but would I come over because she said the guy was messing something up. Feeling defensive of the old lady I jumped in my truck, bat in hand.

I get there and could smell Deft Lacquer as soon as I opened the door. Inside I found a guy in her kitchen brushing on Deft with no venting. Half the doors were already reinstalled. The reveals were nearly 1/4". I asked the guy to pack up and get out and opened up some doors and windows. The almost 70yr old woman was probably higher than a kite. After checking out one of the doors I found my mark in the hinge bore. Looking closely at the door the rail tongue was only 3/8 deep into styles on the hinge side. The other side are a full 1/2 deep like they should be. After looking at the invoice and the contract the woman was sold all new cabinet door with conversion varnish finish and new hinges.

What happened? They guy came and got all her old doors, cut off the hinge side styles, re cope and stick routed flipped the panel then glued the style back on backwards, then trimmed the other side to match. She paid the guy upfront, the phone is now disconnected and the address on the contract was a legit cabinet shop that just moved into the building.

Don

All I can say is.....wow.

Definitely let the cabinet shop know that someone is using their address. Any chance it was a disgruntled employee of said cab shop or of a cab shop that recently shut down? Too bad you don't have a picture, it would be interesting to see who in the industry might recognize him.

i always get only half my money up front for supplies that way i dont lose anything buying supplies if they change their mind. then im only making stuff for people who realy want to buy my product.usualy that policy is for when im making anything big ifs its just a small box then ill collect at the end because i usualy have scraps of that kind of stuff left over and im not out anything much because they usaly sell on craft sales. feel bad for the old lady i show examples of all my work to people if they dont like my workmanship then i recomend them to a few people i have met. she should have goten refrences and called the shop. How did she meet the guy?.