Shop setup

mikepugh

Before I move all my heavy tools down into the basement, I took a crack at laying things out in Sketchup (I'm amazed how easy it is to find models for my exact machines or at least very similar models via the sketchup library). I've got things in locations that I think make sense but I'd like to open it up to critiques. I'm working with 260 sq ft of space, but the red zones in the image represent door areas that need to be left clear. The little pink cabinet is a sewing cabinet that I'm turning into a sharpening station with a sink. My main concern is really around having enough room around the tools - so I've put a lot of room around the bench. But I'm not so sure about the jointer/drill press/assembly table placement. The assembly table goes right up against the back wall, and I was thinking of making it roughly the same height as the jointer so maybe that'll be good for outfeed support. Also I'm wondering if it'd be better to put the planer on a mobile base and I'll store it up against the wall next to the assembly table when not in use.

I don't actually have an assembly table, or an outfeed table for the table saw, the miter saw table, nor even the Roubo bench I've put in the model but I'd like to build those eventually. But this does mean I've got room to make modifications to the designs to fit my space. My current bench is much smaller so it should have a ton of space. The lumber rack would be a secondary one, I've got a larger one in my garage that I'm going to leave as is. I figure the smaller rack would be good for storing the smaller rough cut / milled boards I'm using for my projects in progress.

Anyway - just hoping to see what others think of the placements and if there's any recommendations out there.

Thanks!

post-4891-0-81077500-1327681314_thumb.jp

A few thoughts...

- I might move the miter saw to the garage, near your main lumber storage. I don't bother with a miter saw in my shop, as I do all my fine crosscuts on my table saw. I keep my jig saw plugged in near the rack for rough cutting stock, as it's easy to use while holding a board.

- I also keep 52" and 100" straightedges, and sheets of pink foam in the garage, for the 3-4 months when I'm unable to bring full size sheet goods directly to the table saw in my basement shop. With a small shop, this will definitely be a suggestion you might be able to use.

- Your hand tool cabinet should be as close to the main bench as possible. Mine is behind me. Ideally, you'd want to be able to reach for a tool, use it, and put it back, with as few steps as possible. Any time retrieving and replacing a tool can be done in the same step as the actual use, the time savings adds up quickly.

I'm assuming as many tools as possible will be on wheels?

Good suggestions from Barry on hand tool placement, as well as what should stay in the garage.

If you're looking at making some tools mobile, you could make mobile bases for the planer and jointer that would put their respective working heights at the same height as some other surface - the workbench, assembly table, or table saw. This way you can move them out of the way when not used, but roll them out quickly near another item to get a good working area.

I would suggest that the first thing you build is an outfeed table that can double as an assembly table (maybe on wheels), and then you can match up the height of the planer and jointer to that.

I second barry's question on the wheels. When I preparing a rough sawn board, I am often sending it through jointer and planer at its full 8' length. This is so I can reduce the amount of waste from snipe.

Looking at your layout, without those machines on wheels, I concerned that would be very difficult, if not impossible to do that. The machines you are most likely to send a full 8' board through is your jointer, planer, and TS.

It looks too cluttered to me. You will be bumping timber into a machine at every step. As others have said, make the machines mobile. I would have the assembly table and the table saw central to the layout allowing the assembly table to double up as an extended outfeed table. Assembly tables that are against a wall are a major pain in the @rse. They are too wide to reach over, you need to be able to walk right around them. The other thing you could do is to follow

and mount a table saw off the end of an assembly table, great space saver.

Good luck with it all.

I really like the idea of keeping the miter saw in the garage, thanks for that tip. With that extra wall space maybe I'll reserve that spot for an eventual lathe purchase.

I will do my best to eventually put things on wheels as I agree that'd be a lot better to have the ability to easily move machines out of the way. I like the idea of using the outfeed table as an assembly bench as well so I'm going to look into that.

As for dust collection, I do have a JET ceiling/wall mounted air filter as well as my shop vac w/ cyclone bucket. It's not as convenient as a huge 5 HP sucker w/ permanent ducting but it'll have to do for now. I'm planning on sealing up the door to the main area of the basement with some rubber and bristles to help keep dust from getting through the cracks. I should still be able to get plenty of new air into the room via the utility room. I also have an exhaust vent to the outside. Maybe some day I'll get a real DC system and use that exhaust to pump the fine stuff outside.

I'll definitely put the tool chest closer to the workbench, that's a good idea.

I will also probably still bump into a few tools here and there, but it's a heck of a lot more space than I currently have in the garage so it's all relative :)

Thanks very much to all for the great tips and ideas.

sorry, but I think you should keep the miter saw in the shop, you will use it so much you will wish it was there. the table saw will be set-up for a needed cut and you will not want to change it. The miter saw will save you when that happens. I have a bench just for it...... plus it does give me another bench to work on. put long bench on one wall and have your miter saw and planer in it. This will put two tools in one place and you will have a long work surface too. Next put your table saw just about were you have it and make an out feed table that seconds as assemble table. The jointer on wheels. Make room for a lathe when you buy one. Use just a small squall fan in the window and that will take care of your small dust.