Incra LS Super System

Eric_Sweeney

I placed my order today for the LS-17 Super System and table. Amazon didn't have the 27 x 43 table in-stock so I opted for the 24 x 36 table instead. I am just a hobbiest so, this top should be fine for me. I plan on making my own cabinet rather than buying their stand.

Anyone have this setup? Anyone have pictures or plans of the stand/cabinet they made for theirs. Any hints or gotcha items that I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I placed my order today for the LS-17 Super System and table. Amazon didn't have the 27 x 43 table in-stock so I opted for the 24 x 36 table instead. I am just a hobbiest so, this top should be fine for me. I plan on making my own cabinet rather than buying their stand.

Anyone have this setup? Anyone have pictures or plans of the stand/cabinet they made for theirs. Any hints or gotcha items that I should know about?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I have the TSLS system and love it. Once you get used to it you're spoiled. The instructions are great - just don't skip any steps. They really do have a reason for "leaving this nut loose for now" and coming back to it. I bought the TSLS system with the wonder fence, the master lift 2, and a Makita RF 1101 router. i made my router table and adjustment plate that is mounted underneath that holds the router lift. It was 1/4 x 3" flat bar welded into a square with holes drilled and tapped corresponding to the router lift adjustment holes. Works pretty good but it's a little heavy on the table saw rails. I'm thinking of ordering the system that you have just as a dedicated router table. Wouldn't go back to 'bump and measure' and I've noticed Marc was using an Incra system in his #31 Pen box podcast. Honestly though, I think you will enjoy the 36 table better.

I bought the imported Mast-R-Lift back when they had that special deal and it has been sitting there in the box waiting for my to get off my butt and build a new router table. I will be using that and the big Milwaukee router from my existing table. I also bought one of those paddle power switches a while back when it was on sale along with some other stuff all sitting there waiting... So now I have these INCRA items I just ordered that should arrive next week and I have no more excuses - I need to design and build a cabinet for it all.

I'm excited to start, I just have to finish up the current project for my wife and then I can get on it. I was hoping someone had a nice design for a similarly sized cabinet I could use a guide.

I have the same setup, Eric. Plus the Incra Routr-Lift II and the PC 7518. The package I bought came with the aluminum legs for the table. I hate them...too tall and skinny. I'm planning to build a cabinet similar in style to the Bench Dog. The Super System is awesome, but I haven't had it for long so I've barely scratched the surface with it.

I did some searching around ladt night and found a couple pictures of some offset tables that had some features that I liked so, I played around with sketchup late last night to try and capture those features. It is still pretty rough but, here is the initial design (all comments/recommendations welcome). I'll refine it over the next week or so as I finish up other projects and then probably start building it next weekend. I'll post some pictures when complete.

The door in the front of the router compartment will eithr be vented or maybe I won't put a door at all and skip the DC port in the box portion. From everything I've seen in the past, collecting the dust from the box isn't so easy and having the compartment open to allow the router to breathe might be preferable. (Opinions?)

post-612-0-69378600-1327945024_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-61875600-1327945062_thumb.jpg

Nice sketch but what are your plans? What do you plan to put in the top right compartments? Larger things....spare routers? (You're not in violation of any international laws until you have 28 of them :) ) Would larger (less often needed) things work better if you had the two larger compartments at the bottom and narrow drawers at the top for more often needed things like tools and bits?

Definitely do dust collection. Just make the compartment where it can breath. I am hooking up my DC now but I worked with some padauk last Saturday and the red haze was all over the shop...and in the air. I'll give you another angle, the router stays cooler if you're forcing air to flow around and past it. Either just vent the box through the door or (something i like better) relocate the switch where the door is and put the vent where the switch is now above the drawers. That gives the air a straight shot through the box and your switch is in front of you - where you will normally work. (?)

TimWood, All good points and things I will think about. Thanks!! All comments and input appreciated.

I was originally planning to put the switch in the front as you suggest but, I was afraid that I was going to accidently bump it. The more I think about it, the less likely I think it will happen. I hadn't really put much thought into the drawers except that there are more of them than I have in my existing table and that should be sufficient (i hope).

I have found (in the past) that one of two things usually happens when i try to plan everything out - either I end up in analysis paralysis and never build it (which is why my router lift is still in the box from a year and a half ago waiting for me to build a new router table) or I plan out what I think I will need and I end up forgetting about something or the situation changes or I measured something wrong. When I talk about some of my plans for various shop furniture and some of the proposed changes to those plans, my wife laughs and says - "why are you getting so wrapped up in it, you're just going to rebuild it in 6 months anyway".

I am trying to get better about that kind of thing - is there a 12 step program for that? My name is Eric and I am a re-builder.

Dog gone...I am the same way...exactly....I over-plan and over-engineer everything...often to the point of never getting around to building the thing. Honestly....my solution is get close to the design I want, and LAUNCH!!!....start building and all the while, remember you're married to that woman, not your design. My design often changes while I'm in route. Like Tommy Mac says, wood working is fun - express your individual creativity but keep it fun.....er something like that. The important thing is GET DAT ROUTER OUT-AH-DE-BOX!!! :)

After further review and input from others, I've revised the plan. The cabinet will be 29 1/2 wide x 19 1/2 deep x 34 tall (+ casters of 3 or 4 inches). This will give me an overhang of 2 inches for the top all the way around except the side with the power switch will be 4 inches. The cabinet will have 4 compartments that are 13 5/8 wide x 15 tall x 18 3/4 deep. The router compartment will have a 4 " dust port on the back and a vented door on the front (not shown in drawing). the other 3 compartments will have slide outs based on the items I need to store there rather than drawers to give me more flexibility to make changes. I will probably make holders on the side with the switch for my 2 collet wrenches, ring wrench, router lift adjustment wrench and whatever tools come with the INCRA LS System I may need to use a lot.

post-612-0-63006200-1328283353_thumb.jpg

Castors - I like larger since they roll easier across an extension cord or a wood giblet dropped on the floor.

The switch is probably better under the table - protected so you're not bumping it turning it off by accident but accessible as you hold the board to begin routing. I have a question, where is the vent so the router/DC can breathe?