$750 budget for DC - help me spend it!

WorkTheWood

I have really been considering a Penn State 3.5HP cyclone for my soon-to-be basement shop. I will say I already own the HF 2HP unit, but I am afraid it may be a bit under-powered to do an adequate job. I am really looking for a solution that collects and eliminates as much ofthe "fine" dust as possible...

http://www.pennstate.../TEMP1535S.html

I want a powerful machine that will capture a lot of dust effectively. My shop is 450'ish square feet and will eventually have a table saw, 8" jointer, 12" planer, Router (mounted in a table), SCMS, Band-saw, Drill Press.

My frugal-side wants to consider lower cost options so I can put the money saved towards other tools.

What would you suggest that would do a great job, and keep the total spend under 750?

I have a 900' shop and I use a 1hp Delta and it does just fine. I have to move it from my table saw to the other branch that has my jointer,planer,sanding station,spindle sander and router on it. I just have to open the gate at each too. I don't mind moving it once in a while, I love just working in my shop and love it better that it is in my basement. I never have one outside and never will. Remember, the dust drop before it will ever get upstairs, so dust in the living room is not a good fight.

I would suggest CraigsList, if you are near a city, then keep an eye out for shops closing. I was hunting for DC equiptment, and lucked out at the end of the summer. I found a custom one man shop that was closing, he was going back to being a shop teacher.

I paid $400, and got a 3HP Reliant and all the metal pipes and fittings. I built a Thein seperator and the system is working great for my good size hobby shop.

If you interested in what I put together for less than your budget, here is a shop tour I made of my new DC system.

if this is going to be your permanent shop for a long time? i guess go with what you really want and will know will be good. having all the filtration air purifiers and stuff would help too a little. i am in a garage and the hf 2hp does an awesome job for me. i have not used on my sander or router, but i hope it works as good on those to.

With the micro sized dust collectors we use your not going to get "powerful" and "cheap". I have a 3 hp cyclone and it cant keep up with my planer. It will pull all the chips out of the shop but a good portion makes its way out the exhaust. This is because even though it has the HP the cyclone portion is to small. I think people think way to small in terms of dust collection. If this is a long term investment I'd hold off and get a big unit.

Don