gravity cup or siphon cup?

rodger.

I typically finish all my projects by hand. I rarely stain a project, but of course, do a lot of finish work (mostly poly). I decided that it is time I buy an HVLP system. I will spray almost exclusively water based poly.

I looked though a recent magazine (Canadian Woodworking) and they have a review on a few systems (including the Earlex HV5500 mentioned in another thread). Many sprayers (including the Fuji mini-mite 3) offer a choice of siphon or gravity cup.

Can anyone offer an opinion on the pros and cons of the cups?

I took a finishing course a few years back, and used a Lemmer T55Q, which was nice to work with. It looks like I will need to spend about 500-600 dollars CDN to get a system from Fuji or Lemmer. The Earlex is about 375.00 CDN, and I am going to go watch Marc's podcast on it to see what he thinks of it.

Anyone have the Fuji or Lemmer and can weigh in?

I like gravity feed cups.

First, they use almost all the finish, because the finish drains from the bottom of the cup. Using hard plastic cup (to my knowledge only made for gravity feed guns) makes it easier to see when you're running out of finish helps to avoid sputtering and spitting. I think they are easier to get in tight places.

Cant speak about the turbines, never used one.

I have both, and use them both at different times.

Sometimes, either can be in the way, so I switch. I don't worry about using up the finish, as I'd rather pour it back out than run out at an inopportune time... :blink: You will need a different needle setup for the same finish with different cup setups. On my Fuji, I meed to go up a needle size with the gravity cup.

For some reason, I use the pressure feed by far the most often, but I've never analyzed why. Off the top of my head, I guess I find the pressure feed cup easier to fill.

I also have a 64 oz. pressure pot, which means no cup at all on the gun, but due to the cleanup effort. I rarely use it for "normal" sized jobs.

It comes in handy to know how much finish is in a gun when your mixing custom colors or have a catalized finish that has a pot life. Nothing worse than to have to mix more color or more finish because the siphon tube is starved and an half inch of finish still remains in the cup. Then have to throw It out because you cant save it anyway. That's just me :)

More of a concern when your a production sprayer. That's a lot of wasted finish over 12 months and solvent for cleaning the gun. Probably not a concern for a hobby finisher.