Thoughts on strengthening up out feed/assembly table

kyleheon

I built a 4x4 out feed table that is also serving as an assembly table and bench as I don't have a bench yet. It is assembled with 2x4's and an OSB top that is covered with a masonite top. I've been trying to plane wood on this and the table rocks back and forth. Before I go and rebuild it I was curious what I could do to tighten it up and strengthen it. There is no lower shelf yet but there is room to do so. Would adding that help?

You can see this at Outfeed table #1

It would be helpful if we saw how it was assembled. Was any glue used? If the 2x4s are just nailed or screwed together then it will undoubtedly have a lot of movement. You could try adding some lag bolts or through bolts in the existing joints to see if that strengthens the joint. a triangular brace attached to the legs and any rails/stretchers would also help to make it more sturdy.

• Like 1

What john said. In general, the way you make a rectangle stable, is to have all four sides and one diagonal. The top counts as all four sides and both diagonals, but it sounds like your legs might be missing the bottom side and a diagonal brace. [ edit after seeing the picture: only the diagonal brace is missing ]

Also, screwed or nailed joints can work loose over time if you are "working" the joint back and forth, as you would when planing. Glued joints won't have this problem.

Diagonals from leg to leg, parallel to the floor strengthens some. 45 degrees to the floor is best but eliminates your shelf below. To keep the shelf, add a couple stretchers on the inside of the legs running toward the windows at the bottom and the top if possible. Like you said, a plywood side between the table and the table saw would definitely strengthen the base and my friend glue, glue, glue. Since everything is presently nailed and screwed together only, I'd say loosen the joints a little and add some glue and screw them back together. You'll see a world of difference.