turned pendants

darty

Thanks for the replies. The finish is just rattle can lacquer.

Bill, I don't have any pics. I'll try and get a few pics in the next day or so and post them. They are really easy to make though.

I double stick taped my blank to a waste block and turned it round using the tail stock for support. I then removed the tail stock and turned the face. I took the blank loose and moved it down to where I wanted the hole and used a chuck to drill the hole. Last I used a skew to flair the hole. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the replies. The finish is just rattle can lacquer.

Bill, I don't have any pics. I'll try and get a few pics in the next day or so and post them. They are really easy to make though.

I double stick taped my blank to a waste block and turned it round using the tail stock for support. I then removed the tail stock and turned the face. I took the blank loose and moved it down to where I wanted the hole and used a chuck to drill the hole. Last I used a skew to flair the hole. I hope that makes sense.

Darty

Beautiful work for sure - let me ask - I wonder how thick the blank is though? Are they the thickness in the pic as they get turned or do you turn a blank say 6 inches long and then slice it on a band saw to the depth shown?

Darty

Beautiful work for sure - let me ask - I wonder how thick the blank is though? Are they the thickness in the pic as they get turned or do you turn a blank say 6 inches long and then slice it on a band saw to the depth shown?

I started with a 3x3x3/4 blank. I probably could have resawn the blank and got 2 but I didn't. The pendant is thicker in the middle and tapered toward the edge.

I started with a 3x3x3/4 blank. I probably could have resawn the blank and got 2 but I didn't. The pendant is thicker in the middle and tapered toward the edge.

I really want to give this a try - these are beautiful. One more question for you - is the back flat? Based on the description you gave for turning them I dont see how you were able to finish both sides the same.

I really want to give this a try - these are beautiful. One more question for you - is the back flat? Based on the description you gave for turning them I dont see how you were able to finish both sides the same.

The back is flat. I finish sand the back before I stick it to the waste block. I'll try and get some pics this afternoon. The waste block is smaller than the blank so I can roundover the edge.

Here's a few pics showing how I turn pendants. I don't know if it's the best way, but it's how I do it. From sticking the blank to the block to finish sanding is probably about 5 min. I hope this helps. I sand to 220 after the pendant is roughed and then sand with 220 after the skew.

Picture 1 is of the waste block in the chuck with double sided tape.

post-764-007833300 1283461741_thumb.jpg

Picture 2 is of the way I turn the blank round. I use a jam chuck so it helps hold the blank to the tape.

post-764-039078700 1283461749_thumb.jpg

Picture 3 is after it's rounded.

post-764-068784300 1283461757_thumb.jpg

Picture 4 is of the pendant turned to size.

post-764-009334700 1283461780_thumb.jpg

Picture 5 is of how I offset the pendant to drill the hole.

post-764-006641900 1283461792_thumb.jpg

Picture 6 is after the hole is drilled.

post-764-097214600 1283461798_thumb.jpg

Picture 7 is after I use the skew to widen the hole.

post-764-066840800 1283461811_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to consider getting an indexable "Pendant Backer Plate" from Richard Joyner. Search for pendant backer plate on the pen turner's forum. It's a great tool for making pendants.

Also, Ed Davidson has some videos on his YoYoSpin.com site.

My wife and I have been enjoying making pendants... we combine wood with beads, stones, etc. You might find some of our recent pendant projects entertaining.

pendant_pad_yellow_a_small.jpgpendant_e3a_small.jpgpendant_z6a_small.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...