Quality tools make a difference

bjorn rettig

Last weekend, besides working on the endcap (posted "cock up"), I had an even bigger problem: the dog hole strip. I couldn't even bring myself to ask a question, because my results were just terrible. The router with the pattern bit was hard to control, eager to catch, and just a pain to use. I was tempted to go to round dog holes, but I decided to make a new template (the old one was damaged by a catch) and try again.

Since I'm a weekend warrior I also mail ordered better routing bits, especially the pattern bit. Instead of the Home Depot house brand I ordered Whiteside Template bit - $27 through Amazon, just $9 more expensive then the pattern bit from home depot.

So, yesterday I went to the shop made the new template and routed the first dog hole. Wow. I even called my wife to show her the difference. Rather then the rugged, uneven insults to the woodworker's eye, it looked beautiful. The process of creating it was quick and not scary - router ran as smooth as cutting through butter.

I learned my lesson again: don't waste money on the cheap tools.

post-5794-0-42224400-1330352635_thumb.jp

--bjorn

I'll second that bjorn. I am slowly uprading my shop with better tools and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. Recently I bought some Incra and Woodpeckers layout tools, and my accuracy has improved 10 fold. The Roubo has been the perfect test for this and the results are noticable. Money well spent, making me a happier woodworker. The trick to buying good tools is where does it become overkill with quality and all the bells and whistles. I guess it depends on what kind of woodworker you are. You are definitely right, better tools make a difference and they'll last a long time if you take care of them. Which in turn doesn't make them all that expensive in the long run. Good post on this, Thx. -- Art K.

post-6211-0-42280900-1330522313_thumb.jp

Incra square I bought last year

http://incra.com/index.htm

post-6211-0-91257800-1330522423_thumb.jp

Woodworking Ruler set recently purchased

http://www.woodpeck.com/

post-6211-0-42280900-1330522313_thumb.jp

post-6211-0-91257800-1330522423_thumb.jp

That top is looking good!! I have several Woodpecker tools. Love them. I like to support boutique makers as much as possible, too. The quality there is unsurpassed...so far.

I'll second that bjorn. I am slowly uprading my shop with better tools and let me tell you, it makes a world of difference. Recently I bought some Incra and Woodpeckers layout tools, and my accuracy has improved 10 fold. The Roubo has been the perfect test for this and the results are noticable. Money well spent, making me a happier woodworker. The trick to buying good tools is where does it become overkill with quality and all the bells and whistles. I guess it depends on what kind of woodworker you are. You are definitely right, better tools make a difference and they'll last a long time if you take care of them. Which in turn doesn't make them all that expensive in the long run. Good post on this, Thx. -- Art K. Incra square I bought last year http://incra.com/index.htm Woodworking Ruler set recently purchased http://www.woodpeck.com/

Bjorn don't feel bad about your doghole experience. I read your post and kept your issue with the doghole strip in the back of my mind when I started to route my first doghole. After hogging out most of the material and switching to my pattern bit to clean up the doghole - - - BAMM!. The pattern bit grabbed a rough corner of the hole and sent the router for a round-a-bout. I couldn't believe it, I thought I had this procedure down pat and all worked out in my head. Well, this definitely made for a senior moment. I collected my composure, thought it out, fixed the template and proceded to put everything into low gear. Put on some Barry White (thanks Marc), caressed my router, got into a Zen state of mind and began to make some Slowww! dogholes. Everything worked out good, but I just still couldn't believe what happened. Fortunately, the incident happened on the first doghole of the strip and I had enough board length to start over. So the moral of the story is, even though you think you have everything thought out and under control --- STUFF just happens. I'm glad that I am done with the doghole strip also, lol.

Here's a few pics to share the moment. Enjoy!

Art K.

post-6211-0-58375700-1330747851_thumb.jp Setting up

post-6211-0-15425800-1330747988_thumb.jp BAMMM!

post-6211-0-45198000-1330748032_thumb.jp Senior moment (*?!$@#%)

post-6211-0-74114500-1330748202_thumb.jp Fixed template

post-6211-0-76287300-1330748257_thumb.jp Doghole Strip made - that was interesting!