Workbench top!

Jjmedure

My ash bench top has a coat of Watco natural (no pigments) danish oil. The only reason I did this was to help occasional glue drips flake off. For "official" glue-ups, I run a strip of rosin paper or expired aviation charts down the bench.

Reasons why I like a bare, or nearly bare, bench top:

- GRIP! A bit of traction helps my holdfasts, planing stops, and bench hooks stay in place. There's nothing like chasing a board all over the place as you plane, chisel, drill, or cut biscuit slots, and not having to clamp every move saves a bunch of time and motion.

- Tune-ups. If you happen to notice a high spot in the future, a film finish is a be-otch to plane. With Watco, you can level off the spot and simply wipe on some more finish.

- I think the bare top just looks better as it gathers "patina" from use. Flims look all chopped, scratched, and cut up.

I only used oil for appearance's sake. The bottom of the bench is raw. Choice "B" for me is nothing.