Dog Hole placement

man of wood

I just finished my new bench and add my front vice. Now I need to add the dog holes.......... My question to you all is. What should my hole placement be? How far should the hole be from each other??? My bench top is 6' x 4' and the vice is 20" wide and has a 10" opening.

I was thinking of putting them about 8 to 9 inches from each other because the vice opens 10".

Thank you

Thomas

Why type of vise is it? Is it quick release? If it's not quick release, I'd probably put the holes closer so there's less screwing to accomodate the work piece. Another thing to consider is that the work piece will be unsupported under the vise. If you put the dog holes closer together, less of your work will be over the vise. I would go 5" to 6".

I'd place the holes at 5" apart or closer. You don't want to have a board that is just a little too long to clamp between dog holes and then have to crank the vise either all the way open or all the way closed. 5" spacing will mean that at most you only have to adjust the vise half the distance of its open capacity.

By the way, do you really want dog holes with your face vice? Usually dog holes are used in conjunction with an end vice.