Sustainability Article. Thoughts?

Hey everyone,

We had a member of ours write a guest blog entry for us about his efforts to go green and practice sustainability in his woodworking. I know this is something that has been talked about before, though I diddn't see anything on this forum and wondered what the opinions would range from on WTO. Anyways, The article is here:

http://blog.custommade.com/2010/08/custommade-member-erik-wolken-shares-some-insight-about-green-woodworking/

and from my estimation would insinuate that sometimes, insisting on FSC certified lumber might be counter productive?? Are there other "green" options that are in actuality NOT helping the cause?

What are your thoughts??

p.s.

On a side note, if any of you guys are into writing and would like to guest post in our blog about some of your work, some of your opinions, some of your favorite woodworkers, please PM me. While the main part of our site is a marketing tool, I aim the blog (my domain) to be more of a discussion zone and an educational portion for woodworkers and every day people alike.

Thanks!!

This is a topic where tempers can run hot, so I'll try to give MY opinion before I get smashed to little pieces.

The Forestry Stewardship Council presents itself as a 'non-profit' organization--and maybe legally they are--but an awful lot of money passes through there, and they seem to seek more and more and more. That $3500 the lumberman spoke of in the article is to be paid EVERY YEAR, and if you are involved in a project that is seeking LEED points, then look out for the dreaded 'Chain of Custody' phrase in the project specifications.

Let's just say you are selling wood doors. You are a part of the 'Chain of Custody' of the wood used in the doors. The same goes for the landowner of the tree, the loggers, the sawmill, the lumberyard, the door manufacturer, the wholesaler, the distributor, the contractor. Each step of the way, the FSC takes their $3500. So, for those few LEED points earned, the end-user of the door has paid considerably more for the project than is needed.

Again, this is just MY opinion, but domestic forests can be managed effectively without FSC intervention, and the related costs that the FSC brings to the table. No trees are saved by the FSC, they just cost more to get from tree to a finished wood product.

Most people want to act responsibly and a few have figured out how to make huge, insane amounts of money exploiting them. The whole "green" movement is, in my most humble opinion, a SCAM! Do a little research on the Chicago Climate Exchange and you'll be horrified at what these people, who are tied to the current administration, are doing. One of the CCX founders has claimed that the green industry has the potential of being a 10 TRILLION dollar industry. The three founders of LEED (also from Chicago) figured out how to measure "green-ness" and, more importantly to them, how to become filthy rich regulating "green-ness". Its interesting to note that some of LEED's early requirements rewarded using building systems that were not energy efficient and promoted urban flight.

Funny how so many good, pure things come out of Chicago.

But I digress. As a woodworker I certainly want to do what I can to insure that I'll have wood to buy next year but in reality, there are only a few species in a few countries that are being harvested irresponsibly. If I'm aware of those species and countries and avoid them, I've done my part. I don't need a $3500/year membership in a pyramid scheme and I sure as hell don't need to pay everyone else in the scheme.

Chris,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Kind of a deep subject to respond on my iPhone. I work in the energy efficiency field. I take a bit of objection to some of the comments about LEED. It's not a perfect system, but I do like third party verification. I'm also not on board for all that they push. I believe in being conscientious. But, many things that are pushed in the "green field" are simply irrational. I think it's important to look at full life cycle costs to determine real cost effectiveness and "greenness". The gentleman that wrote the article got it right. When you're trucking long distances to get a "green" product, it is no longer green. Unfortunately, the green bandwagon is much like those that make money from claiming to be a Christian artist of one sort or another. It's an angle. If you've been to any "green" conferences, you've seen first hand that it is more of a religion than a science. It really shouldn't be. I would love to be able to use sheet goods that don't contain formaldehyde. Unfortunately, the cost to do so is exorbitant in my area, and I'm not sure that the options we have are as stable as what is the "mainstream" option. So, if I were to use, say strawboard, would the piece hold up for generations? It's not a proven technology yet. I hope they get there, but in the mean time, I will simply follow my conscience.

I also find the blog kinda misleading. To me he's working on "going green" by jumping in with both feet rather than just putting his toes in first to test the water. He decided to learn to swim....and his first step is to swim the ocean?

By "going green" you don't only have to use FSC lumber. What about the 100 year old lumber from the house down the road that's getting tossed? The hardwood floors that are getting replaced by your neighbors that's gonna end up in the landfill? The chest that they just set out to the curb for the local trash man to pick up? While in many ways FSC lumber does have it's ups' and downs' there's several free and easy ways you can help out. By simply re-using materials in every step of the way you're not only going green, but often that 100 year old piece of wood is SOOOOO much better than the stuff you just picked up at the lumber yard. With very little work, I'd bet that anybody within 100 miles of a major city could find several spots to get free or dirt cheap material that's just begging to be re-used....and maybe rather than asking about others to change their business practice...he could easily change his.

ps....If you also wana jump in head first. You'll get LEED points for both re-using building materials, reducing construction waist, and using local materials. Use old stuff. It looks O' so good. :D