How to finish a Walnut Butcher Block Top

jbean26

Hi All,

I've got a Walnut butcher block top that just got milled from a tree that came down on our property. It's 36" Wide and about 7' long, 2 1/2" thick. It's basically a certain Island that will be used for preparation. I'm just wondering what folks would recommend to finish this off so it's food safe and protected. Thanks!

now that i have a second to post here is some more info on bee's wax

http://andreasrecipes.com/2009/03/23/beeswax-paste-for-cutting-boards-and-butcher-blocks/

only thing i would change is put a metal bowl in a pan of boiling water. the water will heat the wax without ruining your wifes good cook ware.

maybe do a small cuting board as a gift to try it out with then you will have a idea of how the finish will age or wear then by the time you finish your big project you will know if its what you want to do. Just give it give cuting board to your wife " i was thinking of you" present

i also been told you can add a little honey to it to make it smell better.....and it taste good give it a try. :)