Workbench.

ialamont22312

Hi, my name is Iain. I've been woodworking for about a year now (started when I was 13). I was just wondering if there were any other guides or plans to make a roubo style workbench or similar apart from the guild that don't cost a lot or are maybe free?

Also being young I don't have the money to buy the benchcrafted hardware and I'm not sure if they deliver to Scotland. Is there any alternative?

There are many books on bench building at your local library. When I built my roubo bench my inspiration was the August 2010 issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine #184 Chris Schwarz built a very sweet Roubo workbench, eccept fpor the joinery mine looks nothing like his it is built to my own needs, and sized for my shop area the Roubo is more or less massive bench with the legs flush with the edge of the bench so you can add a leg vice which is signatuer to the Roubo. Good luck

P.S do a search on the net lot's of info on Roubo's, and and any other bench you might be interested in.

The book that got me interested was Chris Schwarz's book "Workbenches: From Theory and Design to Construction and Use". It's about $20 USD, or you may be able to pick it up from your library. The book does not focus on exotic woods, but on woods that matter according to the janka scale (hardness). That way, you don't have to be pressured into a specific wood species. He also does not even mention the benchcrafted hardware, but other less-expensive options. I wish you all the best!