Hello from Los Angeles, CA

rmconlon

Hey everyone,

I am a 35 year old in Los Angeles, brand new to woodworking. So new that I am not even sure it is something I really am going to enjoy. I have always liked building things and I really appreciate nice wood furniture, so it seems right up my alley.

The first thing I did was buy a copy of Mastering the Essentials of Craftmanship by Peter Korn, buy a set of chisels, a decent dovetail saw and work through the Mortise and Tenon and Dovetail Joint exercises (all by hand). They didn't come out very well (and I only drew blood once....man those chisels are sharp), but I did have a lot of fun doing it.

I am really interested in starting the cutting board project Marc has on the site. I think it will give me some good expereience making precise cuts, working with wood glue, sanding, and using the router (where I am definitely a novice). My only concern is exactly how to make the cuts.... my only power saw is a circular saw and it seems a little dangerous making such small cuts with that saw? I don't really want to invest in a nice table saw just yet ($$ is a consideration, and my dad lost a couple of fingers in a radial arm saw accident when I was younger... as you can imagine I am a little hesitant around really powerful saws with an open blade).

I have been looking at the Grizzly G0555LX 14" (bandsaw) as a first "major tool" purchase, as it seems like it would do nicely for the smaller stuff I will most likely be starting out on. Additionally after reading through the threads it seems like the bandsaw is a pretty versitile tool. My hesitation is overcoming the fear of plunking down $600 for a 275lb tool to take up space in the garage when I am not sure of how much use it will get.

So as you can see I have only dipped my toes in the pool but I am glad to be here and the water looks good! Any advice on how to manage the cutting board project and whether or not the Bandsaw idea is good one is more than welcome.