Help Me Figure Out Dust Collection for a Single Tool

williaty

Well, a tool and a half, maybe. Well, 3 tools if my wallet doesn't burn down. :lol: Ok, so we need some backstory here to explain things. My woodworking area isn't really a woodworking area. The majority of tools are stored in a room we've converted to a "warehouse". The tools then get carried into the living room (small projects) or automotive shop area (big jobs). All of the dust collection for all my smaller power tools is handled by my Festool vac. Handled really well, actually. But now there's a problem.

I got a new tool. OH NO!

My new bandsaw has 2 4" dust ports on it. The Festool vac just doesn't move enough volume to keep the velocity up through those giant ports. The bandsaw lives in the automotive shop area. It's stored against a wall and wheeled out into the middle of the bay to be used. This means that the dust collection has to do the same thing. No giant permanent-install systems. Has to be small(ish) and portable. Also, due to the environment it's being used in, the DC does not need to be perfect. I'm not looking for an air quality I can breath 24/7 and never get sick. I can make the cut, vacuum up, leave the bay doors open for a while, and all is dandy. As soon as I've cut the wood, I'm carrying it back into the house to work on it anyway. What I want is some sort of simplistic dust collection that just keeps as much dust off the floor (since sawdust+polished concrete=BOOM) as possible and keeps the lower cabinet of the bandsaw from filling up with dust. If it makes the air dusty still, I'm ok with that since I can just vent the space and leave.

Long term, this might get attached to a drum sander and a bigger planer. So it'd be nice if it would work ok for those in the future too. No table saw, no jointer, no shaper, etc. Don't have them and don't plan to get them. Just the bandsaw and maybe someday the drum sander and larger (12 or 15", just heavier duty than a lunchbox) planer.

So what specs do I need to be looking for?

looks on cregs list for a 1-2 hp dust collector that you can roll from machine to machine. dont need a huge stable unit to suck up industrial size planers. there are alot out there that just have a bag hanging from the machine that you can dump you chips into as you cut your wood.

Bandsaws create fine saw dust so you need more air movement. The finer sawdust is harder to contain in the collector so you need better filtration. Your health aside, the fine dust will creat a fine layer of dust all over the shop if its not contained.

I bought THIS one for my son in law he has a little 18" jet it does an ok job, so Id say something similar. Alot will depend on how well the bandsaw is designed to collect dust.

Don

I'm in a similar situation, except my shop is in a small finished basement... with carpet. So this question interests me as well.

I'm planning to get a 16" bandsaw by the end of the month, and trying to figure out the right balance between what is enough and too much in a dust collection system.

My first choice was Don's suggestion of the JET 1200VX-CK1, which gets great reviews. But then the more I read about efficiency, performance and health related considerations the more I'm leaning against single stage DCs and looking at more expensive systems like Oneida's V-System 2000-HEPA, which is around twice the cost of the Jet.

The bandsaw will be the only machine using the dust collection, but I'm also looking ahead and don't want to be in a position of having to upgrade my dust collection 5 years from now. Is the Oneida V-System 2000-HEPA too much DC for a smallish (200 sq ft) basement with only a bandsaw?

williaty - I don't want or intend to hijack your thread. So if you'd rather I move my question to my own thread let me know and I'll delete this.

You don't need to start with a two stage system. You can get a single stage system and later add a shop-made Thien separator.

If you are working in a finished area with carpeting, please, I beg you, don't ever use a router on MDF.

Also, don't forget a respirator to keep the dust out of your lungs until you can vacuum it up or blow it outside.

Beechwood - thank you! I hadn't come across Phil Thien's site before. I learned the router-on-MDF lesson the hard way, and I use the same 3M respirator that Marc does. The health thing is really my biggest concern, so that's why I'm looking at less than 1 micron filtration and a separator. Nevertheless, the single-stage DC with some type of separator seems to be right balance and affordable.

williaty - yeah, I thought our situations were similar enough to benefit from one another. When I decide on and get my system, which will be soon, I'll share my adventure. Thanks for starting this thread.

I tend to over-think these things, but I have fun doing it.