Shop inspiration - The cream of the crop...

VitalBodies

Most, if not all of us, are creating shops.

This thread is dedicated to what inspires us. Not so much in terms of great projects but great shops.

Add to this thread any photos, videos or links of shops, shop design and shop ideas that inspire you.

The cream of the crop so to speak.

Vic, I would say the size of your shop alone is an inspiration. I like the below the floor ducts! Funny, it was an article in FWW that got me thinking to create this thread. In that article the guy had below the floor ducts and lot's of natural light amongst other things.

Vic, I would say the size of your shop alone is an inspiration. I like the below the floor ducts! Funny, it was an article in FWW that got me thinking to create this thread. In that article the guy had below the floor ducts and lot's of natural light amongst other things.

I wish I would've went with longer windows on the power side of the shop. I get fairly good natural light, but more would be better. I'm not a fan of perforating the roof, so have decided against any light tubes. My hand tool side gets really good natural light and since that's the area I most want to really feel like a place of inspiration, it'll do.

If you can do a crawlspace, I highly recommend doing so. Having all the wiring and ducting come up from the floor for all the free standing machinery is a very nice upgrade. Depending on your environment, I would suggest using a conditioned crawlspace. It not only will give the structure better durability, but makes for a nice clean crawl.

Thanks, Bobby. It's been a lot of years in the making. These photos are at least a year ago. The RAS is gone now, as well as the shaper. I didn't want either of those. I still have a couple things to finish, but it's quite functional now.

• Like 1

Dave, interesting collection of shops that inspire. Most very clean and minimalist (in my eye). Any comments about what really stands out for you would be fun to hear.

Vic, you do not really think you can get away with ONLY showing us year old images do you?

We will not mind seeing a little saw dust...

Vic, some questions about your shop:

Do you use the radial saw much and if so, for what? I think I have more or less the same one.

It would seem you bought a table saw and added a bunch of stuff to it like a sliding table. Would you do that again if you did it all over again or would you go with a sliding table saw?

A 12" jointer. That is big. Is that really needed or a luxury? I ask this as someone pondering the real value of tools and where to spend the money. One of those, are there other ways to accomplish the same thing, or if you had it all to do again would you... Kind of questions.

Not hard to find a lot of inspiration looking at your shop it is fun you posted this.

This shop of yours is a lot of work, a lot of time and a lot money. Comments, musings and advice welcome.

Dave, interesting collection of shops that inspire. Most very clean and minimalist (in my eye). Any comments about what really stands out for you would be fun to hear.

Vic, you do not really think you can get away with ONLY showing us year old images do you?

We will not mind seeing a little saw dust...

I can't handle mess, so Spartan shops that are ready for work without tripping over any previous projects appeals to me.

My thoughts are after the envelope has been built, painted and serviced, the first substantial machine to grace the new shop should be a table saw. I have a couple of benches and assembly tables and many power tools, the latest acquisition being my ts55. These tools have made getting the shop built a breeze.

After the tablesaw I need to build an outfeed table. Next will be a long bench for the mitre saw, then buy a jointer. Notice there aren't any hand tools in my timeline?

I actually got rid of the RAS. I donated it to Habitat for Humanity. I barely use the SCMS. At some point, I can see getting rid of that and opening that space. Most of my crosscuts are done on the slider for the tablesaw. Yes, I would love a true sliding table saw, but this is almost as good. I picked it up for $150 from my old neighbor who was a cabinet maker. He had upgraded to a sliding tablesaw. As far as the jointer goes, no it's not necessary, but it makes more sense to me. My planer can handle 12", so why would I have only 8" capacity for jointing? When designing my shop, I wanted to be able to work in 12" stock. That seemed to be the sweet spot for lumber pricing. Any bigger and the price jumps considerably. Ultimately, I want to pare down a bit.

I've pondered the "if I was starting from scratch" before. If I had know about the Festool system before, I may have gone that route in addition to a bandsaw, jointer, planer, spindle sander and assortment of hand tools. But, I have what I have and am very happy with my set up. I just bought the Domino DF500 and will be getting the XL700. In addition, I will be adding an HVLP, and floor spindle sander. Someday I may even add a lathe, but I actually prefer a carved leg over a turned leg and don't have a desire to turn vessels or pens.

By the way, the type of woodworking I'm most interested in building almost always has some curves, whether it's curved front, legs, sides or tops. I want to work with a lot of veneers also.

I've had access to a variety of spaces, and I have come to the conclusion that 1) I'm moving to Vic's neighborhood, and 2) I think too big for shop purchases.

Here's a photo of the current space, although it's outdated by a year.

As you can tell.... natural light is an option that is readily available.... periodically. It's the moisture/ humidity issues I'm trying to deal with now.

post-655-0-43720400-1337012206_thumb.jpg

Setting up shop. For me I started with some basic ideas.

Do I like a clean or messy shop - clean and organized.

White walls, studs, wood or color - white with wood accents.

Minimalist, packed or in between - in between but with ample "white space".

Modern, traditional, vintage or antique - still pondering that one but I would tend to like a mostly modern shop with, a fair amount of traditional tools, and some antique accents.

Stationary tool centric, hand tool, Festool or European combo tools as the core - still pondering that also.

I tend to like organized shops will a zillion tools on the wall especially done in the traditional style even if they are modern tools. For some reason I find that inspiring. Like you could walk into that shop having never been there before and feel right at home and that you could just start building stuff. You would know where everything is and what you have to work with.

Vic, did you consider the euro combo tool route? Is there more you could say about the Festool temptation?

Dave, so what is with no hand tools? Is that to say you have chosen your path/route so to speak? It could have seemed (to me) earlier on you were leaning towards Festool, have you changed to a more stationary tool way of life?

Vitalbodies, I do have a heap of hand tools but only use them when needed so I don't rave about them. I have purchased some festool gear. The TS55, 3 x 1400 lengths of tracks, joiners, clamps etc.......and a festtol coffee mug! The big items are going to be purchased to stay in the shop and hope to get things that will see me out. To that end a 10 inch left hand tilt table sawpost-5160-0-53656500-1337078770_thumb.jp

An 8 inch spiral head long bed jointer. post-5160-0-01485600-1337078814_thumb.jp

A decent dust extractor. post-5160-0-38111900-1337078873_thumb.jp

A 19 inch bandsaw. post-5160-0-28924800-1337078900_thumb.jp

A drum sander.post-5160-0-75837200-1337078928_thumb.jp

A disc sander. post-5160-0-65239200-1337078958_thumb.jp

A bobbin sander. post-5160-0-83266600-1337079034_thumb.jp

And a drill press. post-5160-0-66557100-1337079012_thumb.jp.

I have also considered a 3/4 inch shaper that will take 1/2 and 1/4 inch router bits. post-5160-0-74322500-1337079184_thumb.jp

Yes, I did consider the Euro route, but wasn't wild about changing the machines for each operation. I would still like to get a sliding tablesaw, but it is far down on my priorities list.

I like the Festool system for its engineering, accuracy, and it really is a system that cover most of the bases. See above all the other tools I would add to that system.

Ultimately, what I have works very well for me and so only the two Dominos are really attractive to me.

(null)

If I would have the Rolls Royce of machines they would be Martin ... I was surprised nobody uses the brand General where the General is made in Canada and General International (a little less) is made in Taiwan.

That is probably the brand I would align myself with ... I heard great things about their service.

Yes, I did consider the Euro route, but wasn't wild about changing the machines for each operation. I would still like to get a sliding tablesaw, but it is far down on my priorities list.

I like the Festool system for its engineering, accuracy, and it really is a system that cover most of the bases. See above all the other tools I would add to that system.

Ultimately, what I have works very well for me and so only the two Dominos are really attractive to me.

(null)

Vic. The advantage I have here is that I am encouraged to borrow any of festools range over the weekend to get more hands on experience so they see me as a better salesman.....poor me!

Dave, (and everyone else) so would you go the drill press route or the radial drill press or horizontal boring machine?

Dave are your images intended to be specific brands or generic? And no planer or you have one?

Bobby do have any links for those brands? On TWW I have seen some shops that are mostly General. Did know, and forget they are from Canada. Do tell, on why you see these brands as worth mentioning.

Vic, I find it interesting that you and dwacker seem to have ditched the tools like the radial arm saw and miter saw for the table saw. You both have respectably large shops also so you could have these tools also but do not, so what is the story?

For myself, the RAS has always intimidated me because of the blade direction. I won't use a tool that intimidates me. It's a recipe for danger. I still have my DeWalt SCMS, but even with a good hood, the dust collection isn't perfect. Especially since I have the Excalibur slider, very precise miter cuts are very easy and quick for me on even very wide boards. As far as your drill press question, I don't really have a preference. My little Craftsman radial arm drill press is adequate, not great, but it serves it's purpose. I know there are a lot better machines, I just don't use the drill press enough to justify an upgrade at this time.

(null)

Dave, just to let you know I have your model DeWalt planer and the more squat version. Byrd makes a Shelix type cutter head for the squat version. I'm planning on getting that. I already have zero to near zero snipe on a regular basis and the Shelix head tests better even than a straight spiral head.