lathe project idea-jump ropes

duckkisser

i havent seen this anywhere seems like i might have come up with a new run on a old project. havent seen any lathe made ropes on craft sales or on any turning web sites. thought this might might be a good project to make in the classroom and possible something to make to sell. what do you think? best way to glue the rope in? what should i make the rope out off? any problems that might come up?

hmmmmm any idea what i can use for a mandril? maybe a long bolt mounted to a disc that i can put in my chuck? that way i can use a nut to tighten it down and lock it in place. basicly what i need is a large pen mandrel maybe 1/2 inch or 3/4 of a inch wide. perhaps i can get a threded rod and mount it in a wood piece that the wood chuck can hold and press it with the live center. have my wood threded and spin it on the threded rod and then use a nut to hold the wood in place.

another thought what if i made my own expanding collet. If i took a long piece of wood and drill out the middle then slice the wood and slide some kind of wedge in the cut then it should work to hold a blank in place.

anther option is to get some chuck teeth that are desighned hold small pices that i can put into a hole that i drilled out and then expand my chuck to hold the work in place. need something for this http://www.rockler.c....cfm?page=24518

duh im a moron.........simple a pin chuck just need something large that i can pop a drilled out wood block on and hold in place and a pin chuck would be perfect.......need a milling machine now wish i knew someone that had one.

You could just use a pen mandrel and make your own 1/2" bushings.

You could also use a bottle stopper mandrel and drill a 23/64" holes through (that will fit the mandrel) and then once it's turned, use the old hole as a guide for the new hole.Or, depending on the rope you are using, just stop there.

You could just use a pen mandrel and make your own 1/2" bushings.

You could also use a bottle stopper mandrel and drill a 23/64" holes through (that will fit the mandrel) and then once it's turned, use the old hole as a guide for the new hole.Or, depending on the rope you are using, just stop there.

the bottle stopers that i have seen are too short .....what i think ill do is see if i can get some pin chucks made with milling machine then hold in place with my drill press chuck. or make a wood block to mount them into to sit in my 4 jaw chuck. i can make several sizes with just some standard round steel stock.

• 2 weeks later...