Really torn here, just got ready to join guild and order parts then.....

Well I have been researching benches for ages now it seems like and I finally settle on what I think will be the perfect option in this split roubo with the awesome vise package from Benchcrafted only to find out they are at least 12 weeks out on shipping. The news was heart breaking to say the least since I have a lull between startup on jobs right now and in 12 weeks Ill be slammed. Then while twisting and turning in bed last night I thought I wonder how much of the bench I can build without actually having he hardware hence my post here. How much do you think that I can actually get done and not make a costly error in time or materials without the gear?

As a side I would love to call Benchcrafted to get some questions answered specifically related to this but there is not a number listed and wanted to see if any of you know a good way to get ahold of them besides email since that route has not worked thus far.

Thanks

I think you could build almost all of the bench without having the vises. As long as you are willing to put the bench together and take it apart a few extra times. You could easily build the back slab, front slab and base and then when you get the vises just disassemble and add them.

The back top slab is a no brainer - there isn't any vise on this part. The front top slab could be made, and the rough endcap fitted with the mortise and tenon and dovetails. You could wait to get the tail vise before doing the holes in the endcap for the vise screw and mounting flange.

The base could be completely built, especially if you are doing the knock down version with the bench bolts. When you get the leg vise you'd likely want to take the base apart because fitting the leg vise to the front leg is easier when the leg is loose. Just don't install the drawbore pegs in the front leg until you get the vise.

You could also attach the tops to the base and flatten the top in advance. Really, you could just about do the whole thing, and there is a lot of work in the rest of the bench to keep you busy.

Finally, these vises can always be retrofit to existing benches so as long as you are willing to change the sequence a little you should be fine. Marc's videos are a great way to see the whole process in advance and plan out your own build sequence.

12 weeks...dang. You can get a fair amount of work done without the hardware, but it won't take you three months to get to the point you'll need it unless you only work 15 minutes a day. If you're looking to make this the last bench you ever build, I wouldn't let the immediate bad timing dissuade you from building what you really want to build. Join the Guild, get the discount, watch the videos, build what you can, be patient. That would be my advice.

I've had my hardware and lumber for my BC Roubo since January, but I haven't been able to start it because I had other projects that unfortunately took priority. But it's there, waiting, and as badly as I want to start it right now, I'm going to wait until the time is right and enjoy the process. And while I wait I enjoy knowing I'll have a Cadillac bench in the end as the payoff for my patience.

I saw the post about 12 weeks as well on this site a while back. I ordered it knowing it would be a while before I was ready to build my bench. It arrived in 3 days. That was about 3 weeks ago so I don;t know if that informataion is still valid. I was completely surprised to get it that fast.

Thanks everyone, Ill join tomorrow and start the journey. I spoke with Jameel today and was definitely impressed to say the least...super cool guy and I will be patient for the kit then just take my time and work on what I can in the mean time.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the same boat and this is very disappointing. Too late to turn back now. I have purchased all my wood and nearly finished milling the top. Guess I will just do all the milling that I can for now and accept the 12 week plus delay in hardware.

Not happy. Looks like the only way to contact Benchcrafted is by email.

Anyone have a phone number? Maybe we can find an alternative to Benchcrafted for the hardware?

Woolly

I am in the same boat and this is very disappointing. Too late to turn back now. I have purchased all my wood and nearly finished milling the top. Guess I will just do all the milling that I can for now and accept the 12 week plus delay in hardware.

Not happy. Looks like the only way to contact Benchcrafted is by email.

Anyone have a phone number? Maybe we can find an alternative to Benchcrafted for the hardware?

Woolly

You'll find the response from Benchcrafted to be very good. Jameel and his brother, Father John not only make exceptional hardware, they have outstanding customer service.

You'll find the response from Benchcrafted to be very good. Jameel and his brother, Father John not only make exceptional hardware, they have outstanding customer service.

That is good to hear. So far, just the email referring me back to the website. Did not even accept my order. Of course it is a holiday weekend. In another 2-3 weeks, I am going to be dead in the water without the hardware.

Thanks,

Woolly

I have dealt with both Jameel and Father John by email since my earlier post and they have been extremely pleasant, helpful and friendly as I noted in the aforementioned entry and since then I have been able to see their hardware in person and can say it is worth the wait. I agree Wooly it is a bummer for timing but in the end we will be good to go and hopefully things might finish up early for those guys and they will hit ups a little early.