Is this possible or am I completely nuts?

ChrisMorawski

Hi all,

I am interested in getting started with a little woodworking...ya ya, I know. That’s how you end up taking over the garage and half the back yard. Seriously though, I’m primarily a leathercrafter. I’d like to get into a little woodworking to build a couple work tables, as well as small boxes for hardware storage. Just like woodworkers, us leatherworkers run out of storage fast and often.

So I’m hoping for a little advice setting up a small shop. Two small rubs however, and they are why I’m asking if it is even possible or if I’m just crazy for considering this.

First off I live in a city apartment. No outside space. This isn’t a problem for leatherwork because it doesn’t generate any fine dust. You can vacuum up shavings easily enough. I have a 6’ x 6’ work space which would be shared with my leather tools, and enough room for another 40” x 20” work table. So I figure setting up a small bench top table saw and router would not be too difficult. I already have a drill and drill stand I use for leather in the space. What I’m really worried about is dust collection since this is finished space.

The second issue is that I have a fairly substantial physical disability. Lifting and carrying isn’t a problem, but my hands are fairly unsteady. I can’t cut a straight line free hand to save my life. If I had a larger space I could set up all the jigs, fences, and guides I could want, but since I have limited space for a good saw, and I can’t really use hand saws without jig setups, I’m not quite sure what to do about that.

Finally, I do have one last question. Even if I did get the dust situation manageable and could let a router go in here, are there any decent quiet options? Not that I plan to do any woodworking at night, but I would like to stay on good terms with the neighbors since it is about as close quarters as you can get.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Since you aren't planning on doing a lot of woodworking and the dust/noise is going to be a problem, maybe contact the local woodworkers' guild in your area (which area, actually?) I know here in Phoenix, our group gets a lot of requests from people needing work exactly like that. Since you do leathercraft, odds are some of them will want to learn more about your work, too.

I meant to add... a small benchtop bandsaw could help you out, too. Pulls dust straight down for the most part so easy to vacuum up out of the lower wheel cabinet after you're done and generally don't scream like smaller universal-motor tablesaws. Router is another thing entirely :) Molding planes could be used.

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Tapped mouse while over post while reaching for my drink :)
  • Like 2

Paul-Marcel is on the right track. I don't doubt that there are plenty of woodworkers who would jump at the chance for a swap: They'll build you the tables and boxes you need and you add some leatherwork to one of their pieces.

Likewise, the benchtop band saw may be a good investment. Bonus: They can even be fitted with untoothed "knife" blades designed specifically for cutting leather.

Biggest mistake I made was trying to do woodworking with power tools in my living room. Maybe it can be done with a respirator, really expensive tools with excellent dust collection, and lots of setup and cleanup time. But I wouldn't recommend it. I think hand-powered tools may not throw the dust around the way power tools do.

Hi all,

I am interested in getting started with a little woodworking...ya ya, I know. That’s how you end up taking over the garage and half the back yard. Seriously though, I’m primarily a leathercrafter. I’d like to get into a little woodworking to build a couple work tables, as well as small boxes for hardware storage. Just like woodworkers, us leatherworkers run out of storage fast and often.

So I’m hoping for a little advice setting up a small shop. Two small rubs however, and they are why I’m asking if it is even possible or if I’m just crazy for considering this.

First off I live in a city apartment. No outside space. This isn’t a problem for leatherwork because it doesn’t generate any fine dust. You can vacuum up shavings easily enough. I have a 6’ x 6’ work space which would be shared with my leather tools, and enough room for another 40” x 20” work table. So I figure setting up a small bench top table saw and router would not be too difficult. I already have a drill and drill stand I use for leather in the space. What I’m really worried about is dust collection since this is finished space.

The second issue is that I have a fairly substantial physical disability. Lifting and carrying isn’t a problem, but my hands are fairly unsteady. I can’t cut a straight line free hand to save my life. If I had a larger space I could set up all the jigs, fences, and guides I could want, but since I have limited space for a good saw, and I can’t really use hand saws without jig setups, I’m not quite sure what to do about that.

Finally, I do have one last question. Even if I did get the dust situation manageable and could let a router go in here, are there any decent quiet options? Not that I plan to do any woodworking at night, but I would like to stay on good terms with the neighbors since it is about as close quarters as you can get.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Dewalt's smaller palm router is *very* quiet, albeit not great for large cuts. The 611? The 615 in a small router table can also double as a jointer.

For small-space work, I found having a fold-down bench really valuable; when I don't need it, it folds flat to a wall. This is full of win.

Bandsaws are *much* quieter than table saws.

Unfortunately, quiet dust collection is pricey. Any shop vac can get you started, and a shop vac with a cyclonic dust preseparator (<$100?) really works pretty darn well; Marc just reviewed these a few weeks back. In addition to a shop vac, it's nice to have a woodworking-specific air filter in the room as well. (I say this as I work from a semi-finished basement; I wouldn't work without either at this point.)

The Jointmaker Pro has fairly limited capacities if he's intending on making storage places. Crosscutting things that are fairly long is pretty awkward, and cutting anything wider than 6" can be a lot of work. It's not made for large things. It does, however, cut glass smooth on stock within its parameters. Dust just falls through the table into a neat pile. 20 thousandths kerf doesn't make a lot of dust, either.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Those are all good suggestions.

James, it might seem a bit counter intutiitive but powertools are actually the better option for people with physical disabilities most of the time. That is if you are smart about how you use them of course. On a table saw, you have a fence to run your work on and there are tools and tricks to keep your hands well clear. With a hand saw, you have your own power and whatever guide you can clamp down, which your work can get away from.

After reading everyhing here, I think I'll try a little barter first. I was actually just playing around with a leather box hinge idea yesterday that a few people might be intrested in. And of course standard belts, wallets, and the like I can do easily and would probobly be a fair trade for small box joint cubes. Maybe a tool belt or shop apron for a work table. I'll do some asking around.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Those are all good suggestions.

James, it might seem a bit counter intutiitive but powertools are actually the better option for people with physical disabilities most of the time. That is if you are smart about how you use them of course. On a table saw, you have a fence to run your work on and there are tools and tricks to keep your hands well clear. With a hand saw, you have your own power and whatever guide you can clamp down, which your work can get away from.

I guess that does make sense. I took it the wrong way when you said your hands were unsteady and I all could imagine were unsteady hands running a piece of wood into a spinning blade.

After reading everyhing here, I think I'll try a little barter first. I was actually just playing around with a leather box hinge idea yesterday that a few people might be intrested in. And of course standard belts, wallets, and the like I can do easily and would probobly be a fair trade for small box joint cubes. Maybe a tool belt or shop apron for a work table. I'll do some asking around.

I think you could quite well making leather goods. like you said shop aprons, tool belt or better yet leather chisel or tool rolls. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Let us know if you decide to start making shop aprons and tool rolls.

Take care,

James