magnolia tree find

duckkisser

We cut down a magnolia which was to big for our small front yard. Wood was soft, split, cracked and kinda pithy. Maybe with careful drying it would turn out better, I was just trying to use logs from a firewood pile. Don't remember it being good firewood either!

i anchor sealed it and threw it in my stack. didnt bother to split it since its rather small if nothing else ill gets some small sections for my identification board. it seems that flowering trees like lilack and magnolia are hard wood but they tend to split badly i wonder if its all flowering trees?next summer ill put some on the lathe and turn it and try some carving on it too see how it handles. only thing it will cost is a few feet of space in the shop and a little bit of anchor seal.

i mostly grabed it because of not having that type of wood wanting to expirement with it. and that might be a selling point where i might make a pen out of lilac or magnolia and pu that on the label so that someone might want a lilac pen made from there favorite tree.

ya but those tree arent know for their flowers they are known for fruit or leaves.......but some trees are grown specificly to be decoration and have bright showy flowers. anyone know anything about those types of tree's? ones that are grown for decoration rather then for shade or the fruit

You're thinking of ornamental trees...which are only considered ornamental because they're pretty and usually smaller. Not all ornamentals have big, showy flowers...i.e. Japanese maples. But ALL hardwood trees flower, otherwise they wouldn't be able to make seeds and reproduce. The size, shape and color of their flowers has no relationship, at least that I'm aware of, to the grain structure or workability of its respective wood. Take the tulip poplar for example...big yellow flowers, but very workable and commonly used wood. Magnolia may or may not be great for woodworking...but I'd go out on a limb and say it has nothing to do with its flowers...the flowers are incidental. Forgive the stupid pun.