making bowling pins?

duckkisser

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/crg/3114810160.html

ok i talked to this guy about making some bowling pins. anyone know how hard this would be? its basicly a spindle but i havent sized match any projects so everything in the past has been just free hand. (any advice welcome) i know he is not planing on playing with them just decorating them. im going to take a old bowling pin and strip the plastic off and try to salvage the maple that i can sand down and restore the old pins. would it be a better idea to strip the plastic off on the lathe or use a knife and cut it off? if that does not work ill try and make my own by glueing up the wood into pins. anyone happen to know the sizes of pins? also how do you find the center of a bowling pin anyone know any tricks for refinding a center on the lathe? lastly besides the cost of the wood what should be a rule of thumb for price?

DSCN0167.jpg

ok here is what is at the center of a bowling pin for anyone inturested. decided to make this guy a set of pins $20-25 a pin. took me two hours to strip it and then to sand it smooth. only took this down to 220 grit since he is planing on drawing on the pins and i dont want to burnish the wood so ink wont stay on the wood.

cost me 1-2 dollers a pin if i buy from a bowling alley. these ones my brother gave to me a while ago so it didnt cost me anything. im basicly charging for the hourly work/ and cost of electricity. if I make 10 of them were talking about 200-250 bucks for a time that ill be doing nothing anyways.