Cabinet Doors wood

coronalu

hello, my friends, I'm new at woodworking but I've built two hallway cabinets with a space between them and over the bottom cabinet, I've installed a granite counter, the cabinet is white and the granite is black and I need to make some doors, my wife wants white doors, which i agree with but we're not sure if we want to go with a solid white panel or frosted glass type of panel, anyway, since I am going to paint the door (stiles and rails) and perhaps the panel, I need help on figuring out what type of wood to use for the stiles and rails and also for the panel, also if anyone knows of a way to paint them so that they look great,please let em know. Thank you!!! Luis

Luis - what re the cabinets made from?

Poplar takes paint fairly well and is relatively inexpensive. You could make a solid panel from poplar if you are looking at a raised panel construction, but if you want a plain flat panel set into the frame then you could use some sort of plywood.

Spraying always gives a nice result but I leave that to the finishing experts here. How did you finish the cabinets when you built them?

FWIW, I've always found white to be a bear to truly match....you might keep that in mind. Or, prepare to paint both cabinets and doors at the same time.

Luis, if you are painting the doors then you have a lot of options on the wood you use. I've seen a lot of the panels lately made from MDF and the stiles and rails from poplar, maple, alder, or basswood. All of those make great paint grade woods and have a smooth texture to start with. Stay away from open grained woods like oak or you will double your prep time.

I just made 8 large photo frames for my wife that needed to be painted. I used poplar. As mentioned, poplar takes paint really well. It is also easy to work with either machines or hand tools, and poplar is hard enough to withstand the occassional bump (unlike pine).

poplar is hard enough to withstand the occassional bump (unlike pine)

I disagree with that. The poplar I've worked with would dent if you just looked at it funny. Maybe there are different species of poplar that are different (just like there are different species of pine).

-- Russ

I disagree with that. The poplar I've worked with would dent if you just looked at it funny. Maybe there are different species of poplar that are different (just like there are different species of pine).

-- Russ

I understand what he's saying Russ. It's definitely better than pine because the grain is more even whereas pine has the hard/soft spots of early and late growth rings. I also agree with what you're saying, but...I think there is a middle ground between the two of you. It's relative.

Hey Coronalu

Welcome to WTO , I'm doing a kitchen now that will be paint white , I'm using poplar for my FF and S&R and Superior MDF for my panels . They guys at the lumber yard use it on painted raised panel doors all the time , according to them it holds router detail very well . I plan to protect everything with General Finishes WB Pre Cat Urethane , this leaves a nice hard durable finish . Good luck

Regards

Jerry