I am sure its me but I dont see the spell Checker on this forum

the dude

Most browsers have spell checking and give you red squiggly lines under misspelled words and a nice context menu to pick what you really meant. Grammer's another thing.

That'd be "grammar." :) (I'd never do that if it weren't the subject of the thread.)

You could always use Microsoft Word to type out your posts, then copy and paste to the forum. I applaud your effort, but frankly, I think most people couldn't care less as long as they can get the gist of what you're saying.

I think the most complicated grammar rule I had to learn was...Ahem...

Each, every, either, neither and compounds of -body, -one and -thing all take first person singular.

I've noticed a lot of people break this rule. It has been especially smeared due to people being overly careful to avoid breaking gender equality rules. For example I've heard, "Someone needs to pick-up their coat from the floor and hang it up." It should be, "Someone needs to pick-up his coat..." or "Someone needs to pick up her coat..." People seem afraid to pick a pronoun that reflects gender ie his or her. Some people write "his/her" and that's okay in text, but in the spoken form it should be one or the other.

I am using Firefox and I dont have this problem on any other site so I was hoping there was a spell checker at least and I would also like a punctuation corrector. If the browser does this on other forums why is it not working here? Also believe me people get torqued when you type run on sentences. Like when I am using Dragon to type my words I have less misspelled words but I forget to say period and coma. I don’t know which bbs they are using for this forum but most of the ones I have worked with have a spell checker option I would like to see this done here it will make my life easier while I am here. IMHO

The makers of this forum software do not include spell check. Since most modern browsers have some sort of spell check included, I guess they just didn't see it as a high priority. For what it's worth, I am typing this on Firefox (PC) right now, and the spell check is working as expected.

I've got "United States English SpellChecker" as an "add-on" in Firefox 13.0 . I think it comes with the standard install, but if you are not seeing it, it might have been disabled or un-installed somehow. I searched for "grammar" in the Firefox add-ons and there were a few available.

Dude, do you see spelling and grammar correction in other sites? It would be weird if your Firefox turned it off only for this site, and my sense is that most forums don't have spell check built in, because they figure the browser will do it. Can you give us the URL of a site where spell check works for you?

Are you sure you aren't using google chrome? They made an update recently. To restore auto spell check, misspell a word on purpose. Right click it and make sure your options look as pictured below. If "ask google for suggestions" is checked (it is by default after the update), spell check doesn't seem to work everywhere as it did before.

chrome.jpg