EZ Wood Turning Tools

CessnaPilotBarry

I just don't turn enough to stay proficient. In a cold sweat, I turn the occasional furniture part, tool handle, etc... but only when required as part of my other work.

I'm intrigued by EZ Woodturning Tools. The concept seems sound, and a solid solution for folks like me.

Thoughts for a "flat worker"?

Thanks!

you know barry i made my own and it works realy well easy to make as well.

turned my own handle with the long handle and i put a second hand hold in the back for extra grip. i then used some solid square stock ground a flat shelf at the end and drill andtaped a hole in the middle of the shelf. i bought some blade here http://www.globaltooling.net/ they work well and are cheap. i gave it a square stock so it would sit square on my tool rest no chace of my studients rolling it. gave it a long double handle for extra solid grip. and i gave it a heavey fore end so that i would not have to push hard to realy hog out the inside of a project. if you want to make one let me know and ill see if i can help you. i can also give you directons on making some decrotive tools.

Barry,

I learned on the old school style sorby's etc... Having said that I do own some of the EZ tools and I think that for the occasional or novice worker they can be a very solid tool. Especially if you don't want to invest the money and time into a slow speed grinder and jigs to sharpen the the regular HSS tools. Also, these carbide tip tools from EZ are very forgiving when it comes to the occasional catch or mistake. You just present the tool flat on the rest and straight into the piece.... really flat learning curve. As an example, in the next couple of days I am going to post my piece for the turning challenge which I will have done almost exclusively with the EZ tools.

Regards,

Chris

I own 2 of them and my initial reaction was yech. Finish was not smooth, they are aggressive without a lot of push and control was an issue. I do mostly "spindle" work so the turning challenge bowl was going to be a real challenge. I used the EZ to rough out the inside and by the time it was close to the right thickness, I had found a lot more control and accuracy. The bowl inside is still not the way I would like but I have run out of time. The tools are probably worthwhile for some bowl work but I don't think I will use them often beyond roughing for spindle work.

BRuce

what you give up in fenes and using a bevel to make a smooth surface you make up in the fact that there is a very small learning curve its easer safer and faster. they have different edges where the blade is beveled at different angles to make a more agressive or smoother cut. E-Z has a whole line of rough and finishing cutters. only problem is the price thats why i made my own handle and bought some blades. im going to buy some finish blades that way i have a roughing cutter for hoging out and shaping and a cutter blade for finishing work. i havent done much shoping but so far this guys sells them fairly cheaply i would like to find the circle ones at a bulk supply like the prevous posted company so i can buy like 10-20 and get a cheaper price.

http://eddiecastelin.com/fall_blowout_sale

I have a couple. I find they are perfect for hoggin out material. I don't have much luck getting a smooth consistent finish. I think they create way too much tear-out. They are a scraping cut, and sometimes, all you are going to get is tear out with that.

I never start with mine. I never finish with mine. However, I don't hesitate to pull them out and start removing material in a giant hurry.

Worth the money.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the EZ rougher and finisher and I use them quite a bit for turning. I also have a full complement of other turning tools and I am comfortable using all of them. I think the EZ tools tend get a bad rap in the turning world. I have seen them reffered to on woodturning blogs as "training wheels" and "a sissy bar." It seems a bit silly to me, that they are often considered to not be a "real" turning tool. As S Barton points out, it's a scaping tool just like most other scraping tools for turning. It's not going to give you a sanding free finish, but I think it does have a number of advantages.

The rougher can be pushed straight into the wood like a pool cue, and then you can slide it sideways to continue cutting. This can be really helpful when hollowing out boxes. The finisher has a round blade and works well for creating curved surfaces. With gentle cuts and a bit of practice, the finisher gives a decent enough surface. You are going to have to sand a bit, but if I understand the initial question, it seems like turning without gritted teath is more of a concern than sanding. :)

For me, the rougher is a great way to remove material and the finisher works well for shaping (I use it a lot for turning spheres). For a beginner or occasional turner, I think they are a great value and they are much less likely to make your sphincter tighten up during turning.

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the easy wood tools. Robert Sorby has just came out with their answer, the Turnmaster, and it will give these guys a run for their money. I sat through a demo from Sorby and bought the kit with the handle for $120. It comes with the three heads in carbon steel (round, square, diamond point). You can buy carbide or titanium coated steel as extras. The big thing about their design besides 3 heads on one tool, is that you can tilt the head left or right to get shearing cuts. I still prefer traditional tools for most work, but when I'm in production mode or have a lot to hog out these things work like a dream. I will be doing a video review (as well as starting a wood turning video podcast using cameras like you're never seen), but am in the heat of show season and probably won't have anything ready until after the first of the year. I'll also be selling my long handled EWT Finisher if anyone is interested.