Odd looking shipping pallet. What kind of wood is it?

Fricasseekid

A little off topic, but still related to your comment about exotic woods for US, but common lumber for wherever they were assembled.. Back in the 70's, many of the boats that were built in Taiwan were shipped on wood cradles; and the cradles were MADE OF TEAK!!! Granted it wasn't very high quality, but still.. Most of the timbers used in the cradles were 8x8 and anywhere from 10'-16' in length :o !! Not anymore.....

If a pallet could only tell its story... many pallets are reused many, many times. Before the HVAC equipment it could have been loaded with boxes of foot stools or maybe illegal guns or even something more weird and interesting. It could have been born in Iowa, spent some time in the California sun before visiting China and Korea and ended up back in the states. With the global trade we see today many American pallets have been around the world and there are likely many Chinese made ones around the states. It is actually hypothesized that the emerald ash borer hitchhiked to Detroit on a pallet.

Yeah, I'm with everyone. Long ago I also reclaimed some QSWO from pallets...once. Even if you don't hit a piece of metal, it's still murder on your tools. Ripping with an old blade on the TS is one thing, but you still gotta joint and plane the stuff at some point. Never again in my shop. Not worth the risk, at least for oak. I'd probably take the gamble on a cocobolo pallet, though. :)

• 4 weeks later...