delta 46-460 problems

duckkisser

i own a delta 46-460 lathe and i hear a strange sound when i turn on my lathe on high speeds. It could be two problems one i was cleaning up bowling pins so some plastic might have goten wraped around the spindle. or i could have damaged the bearings. anyone know how to lossen the spindle to clean it out and find out if that is the problem? if i continue to hear the sound then i know its the bearings and not the spindle and i can order the right part.

it could also be that i have to oil the bearings if enough dust got in there then i would need to blow it out and oil or greese it. i dont know if it is a enclosed or open bearing. does anyone know?

I had to replace my spindle. It was quite easy. Open the door like you are changing the belt and there is a Allen bolt set screw that holds the pulley one. Loosen that set screw. You also have to take off the spindle handlewheel which is also held on with a set screw if I remember correctly, Then the spindle should slide right out. It was very easy with no special tools or bearing pulley. If I recall its a closed bearing so maybe you need to order a new bearing.