Wood buying advice needed!

Jay Johnston

I'm relatively new to woodworking. My local hardwood store is going out of business and has lumber discounted 35-50%. I wanted to take advantage of this sale, but I'm not sure what I should buy.

They have poplar 5/4 & 8/4@ 1.50 bf, walnut 5/4 & 8/4 @ 4.40 bf, cherry 5/4 & 8/4 @ $4.10 bf. all that is s2s. I have about $5-600 to buy up some wood, but since I haven't built much, just a few small tables & shop projects, I'm not sure where my money would be well spent?

If you have any advice for me it would be greatly appreciated. They also have other woods - alder, ash, white oak, red oak, and exotics, but those were the main ones I thought about.

I have acess to a bandsaw for redrawing.

Might give you just an idea of recent prices, walnut 8/4 here (Montreal, Canada) is 6.25$, so at 4.40 it seem great, the cherry (its been a while was 4.25 for 4/4 here) not sure for 8/4, nothing s2s, ruff. zebrawood 8/4 14$bf, af. Mahogany 8/4 6.30$ish, i had some plaine/soft maple really cheap like 2$. Not sure what else.

It depend of your projects really if you perfer small nice wood project or if you have big stuff in mind, some ash at 2$ ish could do a lot, etc.

This company have price online it might help you judge also its in the US.

http://hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html

Personally I love working with both walnut and cherry. Also if they have some wenge some of that also. It is awesome accent pieces if not full. Purple Heart is also great but hard to work from experience. Never go wrong with oak or maple.

Do you have any projects in mind for the future? Work bench?

would like to build a workbench in the future but don't really know what I need yet. Ive only built a few small projects, and still trying to see where I want to go with my woodworking. although I was considering buying some hard maple just for that project, but they have sold all that they had.

Which is another reason Im trying to decide what I would more likely use, instead of just buying for a certain project. I know these prices could be over in a month or less since they're closing up shop. I'd like to stockpile some of these good deals, but don't want to waste money buying the wrong sizes.

Do you seem to use more 4/4 or 5/4 than 8/4? How about 12/4? price difference between each size is minimal, which has me confused. Plus Ive not built enough pieces to know whats more likely to be used.

It all depends on what your building. I have used 12/4 before but it's not something I would say I use often. I would say i would probably use more 4 and 5. I even use 8 often. I don't have a stock pile of wood though. I buy what I need when I need it. Like I said I would buy the cherry and walnut cause I love how it looks and works. I would also buy some exotics not a lot but enough to make things like pulls and other accenting features.

If you are married you can always ask the boss what she wants made. She is going to ask for things sooner or later so you can beat her to the punch. If your not married then ask friends family what they would like. Thats really all I can come up with for advice.

thanks for the help, I went today to buy some wood but once I got there I was just to afraid of buying the wrong amounts of the wrong sizes. I really just wanted to load up the store and take it home. haha

I really do appreciate the advice, I guess I was just to stuck on getting a deal, that I didn't consider the things I would be building.

persnaly i would buy exotics or figured wood. alot fo smaller projects can come from that. because i have a one man mill near by who i can go to for domestic rough lumber like walnut and cherry, popler ect... then if i need to make a table i just go the wood that i need and save the more unique wood for a later project.

I was just too afraid of buying the wrong amounts of the wrong sizes.

Suppose you had bought some of the wood and paid, say, 2/3 of what it was worth. That's only a bargain if you use all that wood. You break even on the price if you use 2/3 of it, and actually lose money if you use less than that. And economics aside, you have the problem of storing the stuff until you need it.

So I actually think you did the right thing.

-- Russ

You mentioned you wanted to build a bench...

If the ash is deeply discounted, you could go after that stuff. It's only slightly softer than hard maple and it would make a great bench. That way you could take advantage of the good deal and know that the lumber won't go to waste since you're buying for a specific project. And a bench seems like a logical next build for you if you don't have one. :) Find a plan for a bench you like, buy a bunch of 8/4 ash, and you're off to the races.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought any either. I know it is tempting but without a plan of what you want to do with it, you're taking a gamble of actually using it. I typically only purchase the lumber I need (+ an extra stick or two) for a project I am going to make. I don't have room to store it plus it's a sunk cost of $ in inventory that isn't going to get used for quite a while.

tim i know what your saying is right and makes sense but i have so many boards that are just a gem. spalted lumber, curly maple, curly oak, 5 boards of birds eye pine, cherry that is streaked with red so dark it looks purple. and i used to have a bunch of boards that copper nails that were used in it from a old barn left a strange green patina streaked through the wood from when it was wet. ill probably only be able to use them for small boxes and decorations but i would not give them up for anything.

If I was in your position, I would buy enough for what you are going to make, and then sample a little bit of everything. By a little bit, I mean maybe 1-2 BF of whatever you want. Take these pieces home and experiment with them. If you have never used a certain wood before, here is your chance. Make something small like a pencil holder or book-end. Cut them up into small pieces and put a plethora of finishes on them. See what you like, and if you plan a next project you have a sample of what it will turn out to look like.

awesome idea, because i have not ever used anything besides poplar, birch ply, pine, cedar, & construction lumber. I love the look of walnut & mahogany, but have never used either one.

What size would you buy it in just to build small stuff with? 4-5/4? I can resaw 8/4 with the bandsaw, but do you ever really need 8/4 for small projects that much? I'm thinking maybe some small picture frames, cutting boards, & maybe even a chess board with the cut offs!

Also, since Im just beginning, would you even spend the money on exotics? They have alot of 8/4 exotic that are probably 8-10" x 24-30" that run the gamut of prices. Wenge was $132 for a board like that! :-O

Thanks for the ideas!

Jay

awesome idea, because i have not ever used anything besides poplar, birch ply, pine, cedar, & construction lumber. I love the look of walnut & mahogany, but have never used either one.

What size would you buy it in just to build small stuff with? 4-5/4? I can resaw 8/4 with the bandsaw, but do you ever really need 8/4 for small projects that much? I'm thinking maybe some small picture frames, cutting boards, & maybe even a chess board with the cut offs!

Also, since Im just beginning, would you even spend the money on exotics? They have alot of 8/4 exotic that are probably 8-10" x 24-30" that run the gamut of prices. Wenge was $132 for a board like that! :-O

Thanks for the ideas!

Jay

I would probably shy away from the more expensive pieces :)

If I have to spend more than $15-$20 on a short cut off piece to experiment with, it better be well worth it. I would get Maple (hard, soft, and curly), Ash, Walnut, Cherry, Mahogany, Oak (red and white), Alder, Cypress, Hickory, and Elm. I chose those because my hardwood dealer has them for between $2-$6/BF.

Good luck!