3M 7000 series respirator

rodger.

I bought one of these yesterday. I decided it was time to upgrade from my AO Safety N95 respirator, as I started to find it uncomfortable around my nose. Also, I needed something I could use organic vapour cartridges with later.

So I went to the web, and watched some reviews. Marc reviewed this respirator a while back, so I figured it must be pretty good. I called 3M tech support to get "the skinny" on which filters were best for my applications, and I found them very helpful, knowlegable, and polite. I will certainly be a repeat customer.

Anyways, I came up with the 3M 7502 as my ideal. It is the medium size 7500 series. I went through a test fit with a guy from Acklands-Granger with the large and medium. The medium was a great fit for all the tests they do.

For cartridges I got 2 sets of the 6001 OV, and 2 sets of 2091 (P100) dust filters.

I tried it today in the shop, and it is a very comfortable respirator. I can wear safety glasses without any respirator issues now (yay!). The head cradle is a large improvement over the thin strap on my last unit.

I paid 91 dollars for the mask, 2 sets of OV cartridges, and 2 sets of the P100 filter.

I am very happy with this purchase, and will certainly wear my repsirator more often now that it is comfortable, and does not interfere with glasses.

My old mask (now my backup mask): post-6372-0-83058100-1351344865_thumb.jp

My new mask: post-6372-0-14227700-1351344899_thumb.jp

I've been using the same one for quite a while. The big seller for me was the bottom exhaust, as I always found with my old one my safety glasses would invariably fog up. With the 7000 series that's a problem of the past. Like you, I find it quite comfortable, and I get a good seal, even with a goatee. It's light enough that I don't mind wearing it with the pink sanding pads while sanding, which is not something I could say for my old respirator (which as a result didn't get used that often).

I just got one of these too and am very happy with it so far. Two questions though: First, how do you know when the vapor cartridge or the P100 filter needs to be replaced? And second, when doing finishing work only, is it not better to remove the P100 filter and use the vapor cartridge alone? Because then if you go back to woodwork and use the P100 filter alone, perhaps there is some finish residue still in the P100 that is no longer filtered out by the vapor cartridge? Or maybe I am missing something here in the theory of how this all works....

For those of you who might be wondering if you ever see this thread, I've found the answers to my above questions (although anyone feel free to correct me if you have further info...).

the P100 needs to be replaced when it appears soiled or when breathing becomes at all impaired b/c of reduced flow. The vapor cartridge needs to be replaced as soon as you smell vapors through it, or after roughly 1 year of regular use (whichever is sooner).

As far as using the vapor cartridges alone vs with filters, it is NOT necessary to use any filter whatsoever (N95, P95, P100, etc. etc.) with the vapor cartridge AS LONG AS YOU ARE NOT SPRAYING anything. Some of the vapor cartridges come with filters automatically when you buy them, but if you just go and buy a replacement 3m 6001 vapor cartridge, for example, it will NOT come with a filter. So, for things like wipe on finishing / staining, this is fine. The only time you do need to add a filter to your vapor cartridge is when you are creating an aerosol mist / spray such as spray paint, spray finish, etc. etc.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion you might have.

Again, please let us know if you know any better / other information about this.

• Like 1