Making sure a surface is flat and level

Jon Banquer

I'm watching the Assembly Table Torsion Box video where "winding sticks" are mentioned.

I'm wondering if someone makes an affordable (I realize this is a relative term) laser measuring system that's easy to setup and that could be used to make sure a surface is flat and level.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Yes, they make laser levels. You will need two of them and then use them like you would winding sticks. Just look at the walls on each side and get a better idea of how far off your board is. (Just being a smart ass. :P )

Also, "flat" is one thing and "level" is something else all together. Think about it.

Rog

I used lasers in my business to make sure that lines were straight, worked great. But, for something like a piece of wood, I believe that the projected line would be too difficult to measure from to correctly give the accuracy needed to assure the flatness for most projects. A good straighedge and winding sticks would probably give better results.

I used lasers in my business to make sure that lines were straight, worked great. But, for something like a piece of wood, I believe that the projected line would be too difficult to measure from to correctly give the accuracy needed to assure the flatness for most projects. A good straighedge and winding sticks would probably give better results.

From the specs I've seen so far on rotating lasers I think you're correct.

I like the idea of using a laser or optics rather than just eyeballing it. Seems like it could work if the laser was aimed at a precision marked scale. I'm thinking I could easily create such a scale on one of our large vertical CNC machines at work.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

From the specs I've seen so far on rotating lasers I think you're correct.

I like the idea of using a laser or optics rather than just eyeballing it. Seems like it could work if the laser was aimed at a precision marked scale. I'm thinking I could easily create such a scale on one of our large vertical CNC machines at work.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

Jon,

I have an idea, lets go in togather and buy a CNC machine and then we could make anything! Boy, I wish I had a nice little mazak! or a nice bridgeport with a nc cotrol on it :) make a little program and the profile is done........well, for now it's the router and handmade templates. Maybe when I retire and start looking I'll find one, cheap........

Jon,

I have an idea, lets go in togather and buy a CNC machine and then we could make anything! Boy, I wish I had a nice little mazak! or a nice bridgeport with a nc cotrol on it :) make a little program and the profile is done........well, for now it's the router and handmade templates. Maybe when I retire and start looking I'll find one, cheap........

You can buy 1980's Matsuura's in great shape that sold for 50,000 or more for less than $3,000. They maybe slow and the control maybe old but it's not like one really cares about shaving seconds off cycle time if it's a hobby.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA