Working with Babinga

dodgeram99

I use my drum sander for wood that has figured grain. You have to take tiny amounts each pass and work through the grits but you can achieve a flawless surface with no tear out.

If you have no drum sander work through the grits with a belt sander and then an orbital sander. Maybe you could use a cabinet scraper at some point.

Try feeling the direction of the grains before running through the planer. When you rub your hand down the face of the board in one direction it will probably have more of a coarse feel than rubbing in the other direction. If you feed the board through the planer against the grain on figured wood it will have a tendency to chip or tear out. Running the board through in the opposite direction may take care of the problem. Not always on figured wood but there will probably be a noticeable difference..

Good luck :)

Not sure I'd consider Bubinga in same context as other figured woods. Besides reversing, swirling grain, it is hard (very). If using planes and such, besides beginning with ultra-sharp tool, you'll have to consider sharpening frequently. I've used it quite a bit and after basic milling tend to go with scraper and sandpaper. Only use hand planes for preliminary work, even with straight grain material. I have a low angle smoother, and haven't tried it with Bubinga. Will give it a try sometime.

If using drum sander, take light passes as suggested and also watch closely for burning. Usually, I notice the smell first. The oils will gum up the sanding strips fairly often. Not always, but....beware. Once gummed up, they are not salvageable. Replace.

Working with Bubinga I tend to go even more than usual with relative dimensioning. Meaning I have a thickness in mind, but once it is flat, I stop...when the design permits.

The Bubinga I've used has mostly been stable and flat, so not as much milling as with many materials.