Hvlp

Jim_

Some might call me crazy.... I use the cheap (purple) gravity fed guns from harbor freight. They spray well out of the box, and hold up decent too. Plus when I get lazy and don't clean it out enough and the finish dries in it, I trash it and buy another one. It's been a few years, but I think I paid 30.00 for my last one on sale. Looks like it comes with a reg now. I'm fairly certain it's junk, but the guns I've had great luck with.

Here it is

I'm having déjà vu from another thread, but there we talked about conversion guns vs, say, an Earlex turbine. I have a 20 gallon compressor and get a little over 7 SCFM @ 40psi and use an LVLP (like an HVLP but takes less SCFM) from Homestead Finishing (Jeff Jewitt's site). I wouldn't want to do a big tabletop with it. Even the conversion guns that take "less" air take more than most shop compressors will put out, at least without cycling like crazy.

Between the cost of my compressor, the gun, etc. I easily spent the same as for an Earlex 5000, which users rave about. I don't have one to compare, but will if I ever have a big surface to deal with.

my compressor is 33gal I would like to buy the earlax but it is out of my price range I already have the compressor so I am looking at a convertion gun, I have read alot and charles neil did a video on the woodcraft winriver one but he works for them I was hoping to get advice from someone who acually uses one? another one I am looking at is the finishline buy devilbiss. I will also check out jeffs site.

Bang for the buck, you may want to really look at the Turbines.

I use very good Sharpe HVLP conversion guns, and I have an 60 gal Ingersol Rand COmpressor - In my opionion, I would not go lower than this size for a conversion model - Expect a quality gun to set you back 100-200, and another 600 for the compressor, plus wiring in the 220 circuit, plus the air filters, driers, and regulators, plus the hoses, etc, etc, etc...

-gp

If you decide on the Wood River compressed air spray gun, check this thread out first.

Wood-River

I have the Wood River gun and its not bad at all and would recommend it starting out, I have a 2 cylinder 20 gal compressor and never had a problem. The gun I use the most , $80.00 from the box store (Husky brand gravity feed hvlp) works great, its a knock-off off of a major brand name.

I have never used a turbine, so I can't speak to it. But why not invest in a decent used compressor vs. the one trick pony..... turbine.

p.s. having more than one spray gun around never hurt anyone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I have 3) you may want to consider one of those mini spray guns (detail gun) great for smallish projects and dye application. I use this gun a lot while experimenting on test boards.

-Ace-