Bench Grinder / Sharpening

Chris H

Hi Guys,

As part of getting into turning, I realize that I will need a bench grinder. Up until now, any grinding needs have been handled with a hand held unit.

I plan to build a "Wolverine" like jig myself, since it seems relatively simple, and I am sure I have the scrap laying around to accomodate it.

So, what kind of grinder do you reccomend? Why?

What is the difference between the $50 bench grinder and the $200. All "specs" seem very comparable, so I assume it has to be material quality and longevity.

Thanks for the input!

I downloaded this podcast through I-Tunes long ago. I pull it out frequently. It's not the definitive video that covers this topic, but I highly recommend using it as a starting point. It does take a while, as the video is an hour and fifteen minutes (per my copy on iTunes...). It was brought to us by the fine folks at Woodsmith, in 2008, but it still is a great primer on the topic. (Plus it goes more in depth on the sharpening, which will most likely be your next questions.)

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2008/09/23/podcast-37-turning-tools-sharpen-your-skills-with-sharp-tools/

What is the difference between the $50 bench grinder and the $200. All "specs" seem very comparable, so I assume it has to be material quality and longevity.

As the owner of a $50 grinder, I'll venture that the difference is in the peripherals. Motors and bearings are well nigh standardized: Either the motor spins true or it doesn't. If the former, then it'll spin for years. If the latter, then it goes back to the store now.

But then there's the extra stuff. In the case of a bench grinder, the biggest thing here will be the tool rest. The $50 grinder will have an embarrassing afterthought of a tool rest. Flimsy, impossible to adjust, inadequate support for larger blades, etc...The $200 grinder, less so. In my case, the first thing I did was throw out the tool rest and build a new one, so this didn't matter.

As long as you intend to build your own tool rest and jigs, I say go with the cheap grinder and splurge on better quality wheels.

Just a note.... The reason for the slow speed grinder is that you can better control the heat build up. If you go with a standard bench grinder I would look into getting a better grinding wheel than the standard grey ones that they come with as they often tend to glaze and then you get a lot of heat build up in the tool. Look for one of the more friable white grinding wheels....

• Like 1