complimentary wood to Cedar?

Juicegoose

I have a bunch of reclaimed aromatic cedar that I was going to repurpose for an outdoor buffet but that that making the whole thing out of cedar would be a little overboard. My thoughts were to make the buffet with slates on the sides and top. Kind of a little frame and panel type action. What would would work well with this naturally reddish type of wood?

Have you thought about contrasting it with white? You could use a less expensive wood for these pieces and paint it. I've seen pieces finished like this and they look beautiful! A lot of the classic boat interiors are finished this way (Herreshoff) and the style has stood the test of time (and it would be very weather resistant).. Just a thought

Does the Aromatic cedar have the white/yellowish veins in it? I have a mailbox post that is covered in aromatic cedar, and the box is a "satin Nickel". I think they look good together. Have you considered non-wood accents? Stainless steel trim / accessories would look sharp.

EDIT: Found a picture, so you can see if you like the combo. post-7224-0-93724300-1352831066_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

White oak, mahogany, ipe, or cypress would all hold up well outdoors and provide varying contrasts.

The white oak and cypress will weather silver-gray, the other two will be darker. You could also fume the white oak, it'll get nearly as dark as walnut. Be aware that white oak is great outdoors, red oak is awful. Know what you're buying, if you go that route.

Ditto on the stainless steel or brass hardware suggestions.