laminated blanks

wyowoodwrker

Hello all,

I am a new turner and have a question regarding laminated blanks, different species for vessels or tool handles ect. My question is what is the best glue to use to make the blanks so they don't explode on me in the lathe? Just want to make sure I do it right don't want any trips to the ER to have splinters removed LOL! Thanks in advance.

the only thing that can realy mess you up is having pockets where the wood is not glued together or having two different species. for example hard maple is going to cut differently then cedar. cedar tends to catch more and without a sharp tool can chip out on you badly. hard maple is so much harder that you cant hog out the same way you can cedar. so if you are pushing hard to cut the maple and hit the cedar it can catch and you have a blow out. so my rule of thumb is cut with the pressure needed to cut the lightest softest wood that way it will take longer to cut the maple but it will evently cut down. you will figure it out with expierence and mastakes just make shure you dont die before you figure it out :)

SHARP TOOLS!!! Duck is right. When you laminate different woods, density variation comes into play. Not only will you be fighting catches, but trying to implement your design my prove challenging. A soft wood will cut deeper than you might want because you applied the same pressure on your dense wood.

Sharp tools will help you out with both issues. It isn't that big of a deal, just something to be mindful of when you work.

I'm late to the discussion again. I have to agree with what has been said but if your woods are different hardness, you can raise the speed slightly and proceed slowly and get good results. Here are three examples.

http://hollywoodswoodcrafts.com/sample-page/gallery/ornaments-2012/

Bocote/maple, ash/walnut and walnut/kauri

These are all glued with tight bond II and a lathe speed between 1500 & 2000

No blowouts. You also have to watch for defects in the wood. I did shatter one that way.

BRuce

• 1 month later...

i am just now trying out using my scraps to laminate some cool looking stuff together but i have glued wood waste chunks on to keep from wasting the "good wood" and then decided to incorporate that waste chunk into the turning. when going from one wood to another i like to think of the cut in depth instead of pressure because depending on the tool, if you are cutting at a specific depth pressure for the most part can just dictate how fast you can make the cut, so when transitioning from one wood to another i just go slow and try to keep the bead nice and straight.

after i turn these waste blocks i glued up i can tell you my findings but for now i can say anything i have done similar to that has never given me too many problems, normal wood glue worked fine, i did turn a bit slower just because iv only done it, maybe 10 times. never had any strength problems (i made red oak waste blocks that i drilled and tapped to fit on the arbor of the lathe then just glued them onto the work piece) if anything after i got used to the idea of i felt more comfortable with that than using the chuck in terms of the work possibly flying off of the lathe.