Jatoba the lovely

Dan S

I thought i would share this photo i took tonight. This is a panel of Jatoba that's soaking in a coat of BLO. While this panel has awesome grain, it's a little lacking in color. Jatoba is usually more Amber in color compared to the brown tones in the panel. I think Jatoba is really underrated. It's a Hard wood, with great grain and color, you can get in wide boards, and it's cheap.

med_gallery_818_183_133699.jpg

That's a great looking board. From what I have read, jatoba can range from a lighter orange brown to a darker reddish brown, so color variation is to be expected. I only just started trying it, and my small piece is much more reddish but I expect it to darken over time.

I use jatoba a bit to make wood training weapons for martial arts - it's reasonably priced, with a good blend of weight, flexibility, hardness and durability. I currently have 2 pieces oiling in my basement now - one is nearly amber, and the other is an almost purple-ish dark brown. It's a great wood to work... as long as you keep your tools sharp. It'll wear down hand planes and spokeshaves pretty fast.

The color variations are the only real downside of Jatoba, you pretty much need to go to the lumber yard and pick through boards to find ones that are all close in color.

This is is a different section of my current project, that's just been wiped down with mineral spirits.

med_gallery_818_183_184092.jpg