Clamp storage: ceiling vs. wall storage

Pbmaster11

I have a low garage height in my 1.5 stall garage. As all of us woodworkers know, our shop space is extremely important. Wall space/storage is even more important. Right now i have roughly 15 clamps on clamp racks on the wall... quite frankly this is a waste of space for me. I love the easy access to clamps and organization of them buthe time between glue ups in long due to the lack of shop time (busy life).. it seems this space would be much better utilized with other storage rather than clamps. I can dig the clamps out when i need them rather than the having requited tools or supplies storage.

I came up with ceiling storage of clamps... the picture was made in 1.4589 seconds so it could use some refining... ha! but just to show the general idea.

post-2720-0-43267200-1354590690_thumb.pn

Would it have to be as complicated as that? I have a buddy with a basement shop that just has a support stuck between the floor joists and slips his bar clamps up there.

With your situation couldn't you just use a pair of 6 inch j-hooks for each clamp? Screw them into the ceiling so that the clamps hang by the bar? (I'm assuming the 15 clamps are bar clamps.) To get the j-hooks to bite on something you could either screw a pair of 2x4's perpendicular to your ceiling joists, or just put your clamps on 16 inch, or 24 inch centers, depending on your garage.

i just clamp mine onto the joists that are already there im in the basement and hanging down even a little bit on a hook would get in the way of walking.. instead f buying a ton of those hooks you can just drill holes and put plastic coat hangers in the holes. if you spread the weight out over 2 or three hooks in a line you dont have to worry about pulling free on the little bit of weight in a clamp.

Here's my clamp rack that doesn't take up much space.

http://suiteronline..../Shop17-800.jpg

Bad Bubba....show me something as purdy as that....NICE....I'm sorry PBMaster11....I was focused until Bubba's Victoria's Clamp Rack walked into the room....um...ceiling...yes....I have a low ceiling in my garage shop. With the upstairs floored, my ceiling is only about 7'. I hang them from/on the ceiling joists...they hang horizontal. Nothing special, they're accessible and mostly all together. It's almost like Bubba's, just overhead.