Question on pricing of slabs of inlay material?

Outerbanxer

Hello, all...

Brand New to the forum but had a quick question...

I have access to a lot of acreage of old growth Red Oak, White Holly, some large Dogwoods, White Oaks, Gumball and a lot of Poplar trees. Located in Southeastern VA. Currently all we use them for is firewood. Some of these trees reach 45 to 55 inches in diameter.

I'm thinking about getting a small mill, a woodmizer lt10 or possibly a 15 and havesting some of these trees after I fell them for woodworking projects. With one of those mills I could concievably cut a large 20 to 26 inch slab of really nice material from each slab, probably 1/8" thick.

Basically, after chopping an entire 32" white oak tree into kindling for the woodstove, I'm sitting in the woods thinking I am trashing someones kitchen cabinets...

So, what would one pay for a nice, flat, 20" wide by 8 foot long piece of kiln dried white oak?, or Red Oak?

It sounds like you're essentially talking about milling big sheets of thick veneer. Aside from the drying complications mentioned above, I don't know how in-demand the species you have available to you are as veneers...most of those species are affordable enough to just make the whole project out of solid wood. If you had a bunch of wild figured maple or big crazy burls, then it might be worth your time.

Milling lumber is as much an art as it is a science, so I typically reccomend leaving it to the pro's. You can typically have a local mill, mill a tree for you at a minimal cost. They have the equipment, and more important the knowledge to get the best boards out of each trunk. The value of each board varies pretty drastically based on more than just size. Quality and figuring will be crucial, and vary board to board from the milling.

I agree with Eric, if you don't have exotic woods, veneering isn't the best route to go.

If you have a Woodcraft or Rockler nearby that you could visit, you might find out what they charge for their lumber. It will be at least a year for you to sell some of your harvested (if you go air dried), and you might end up with more one inch thick slabs that someone turns into their own veneer.

Alternatively, you could harvest the tree, and contract with a local mill (either they come to you or you go to them) and get the wood cut. Then you'd have stock to start drying, which could net you some funds.

If it was my land, I'd be upside down with the costs for several years before I even came close to breaking even. (But I'd still be willing to harvest my own trees for my stock materials.)

If you sitting on acreage of mature timber (45-55" dia) then you've got quite a tidy sum there.

Check with you local Agricultural Extension office or DNR your state. Those offices should be able to advise you on current timber pricing and best practices for harvest.

Unless you plan on starting a sawer business I can't see how it would be cost efficient to slice up your own trees. Once you figure in cost of the machine, labor, storage of material, time dry, ect.. I would think you are better off taking logs to a mill or having someone come to you. But if you have ample time and money good luck.

Thanks guys....I'll probably just quartersaw it up for my own stock then....on a side note...I'll give up some cell pictures of this huge red oak near the driveway that my mother wants taken down before it falls on her house. This tree started life as a double trunk probably 110 years ago, and one trunk only lasted 50 years. The stump on this sucker is a good 12 foot diameter by six foot high, the tree is 6 foot across and still living. Love to get that one milled !