Different types of chisels?

TheFatBaron

Can someone give me a basic overview on the different types of chisels? Specifically, I'm looking at the Narex chisels, and I see they have "mortice" chisels and "classic bevel-edge" chisels. I also see "bench" chisels made by a couple different brands. Some of the other varieties are pretty self-explanatory, but these are confusing me.

I want to practice dovetails and handmade mortice and tenon joints. I purchased a couple (a 3/8" and a 1") chisels from Home Depot a while back to practice sharpening and some basic technique, and while they're serviceable, they're not great. Not if I'm going to want precision and durability... and filling in size gaps would be a bonus, too.

Welcome to a very slick part of the slope....

Basically, there are bench chisels (that includes Butt chisels and dovetail chisel), parring chisels, light mortice (including firmers), and heavy mortice chisels. Then there are log working "slicks."

Bench chisels can be flat walled (typical firmer style) but most often come beveled on the sides. Those with thick bevels or sidewalls tend to crush the delicate dovetails; those with nearly no side bevel thickness do a wonderful job at parring dovetail cuts. Butt chisels are stubby versions of the bench chisel and like bench chisels can take a lot of whacking. Parring chisels have longer (11" +) shafts and typically are not made for whacking--just pushing Back in the day of window making, sash chisels were (to me anyway) hard to distinguish from light mortice chisels; but, like the heavy mortice chisesl, these could take a pounding--the heavy mortices bearing up best!!!! Perhaps those more knowledgeable will explain the differences between the sash, light & heavy mortice chisels.

What do you need? That depends, I just cut dados this afternoon and used 1/4 and 3/8 chisels to clean up the walls. I have a smattering of junk to high quality LN chisels. I no longer kid myself--the LNs are superbly better than my cheaper beater sets. You really do "get what you pay for here." With that said, I started cheap and took several years to arrive at making the plunge. Glad I did; but that's a personal choice and not a necessity. My beater FaxMax chisels take a keen edge (just don't hold it that long) and can bear a pounding (but the edge quickly deteriorates). I have yet to crumble a LN edge.

What sizes? That's very personal. IMO you need 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 and something over 1"--the wider being better (2"). A wide chisel is great form marking, etc. YMMV.

But slippery slopes are the best type...

So really, the advantage of a "morticing" chisel is really about the strength and stability of the thicker walls. Chisels with beveled edges are better for dovetail/fine work. Anyway, like I said, I'm mostly just making small stuff for practice... I don't think I'll be making mortices in a workbench top anytime soon.