Need a "rugged" look

mayhew

First of all, I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum - it's about both the wood and the finishing, so I wasn't sure where to put this.

I offered to make something for my brother as a give for Christmas, and he requested a small (24"x16") cross he could hang on his wall. The thing is, he said he'd prefer for it to look more "rugged" than pristine. I've only just finished building a workbench so this is my first project ever, and I don't know how to go about making wood look "rugged". How rough is rough sawn lumber? If I leave the wood surface rough without sanding it down or using a plane on it or anything of the sort, will it still hold a finish? Does the wood need a finish, and if so, what could I use that would still leave the wood somewhat rough, rather than nice and smooth?

I hope these questions make sense, thanks in advance for any advice!

well is it rugged as in unfinished, with bark still on, saw marks, you might think of geting some drift wood branches to mount together and then you can keep a twisted natural shape but then sand it smooth and finish it so its glossy. that way its still natural looking. i would talk to your brother and find out just what he means by rugged and work from there.

mayhew, if you make the pieces for the cross and get you joint made for the cross piece, Drag your pieces backward across your bandsaw blade and it will leave a simulated rough-cut finish without all the inconsistencies of rough-cut. Then you can sand it lightly, leaving the rougher marks and still having a decent enough surface to finish.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond - I had been assuming it would email me when I got a reply, but apparently I didn't have my settings done properly.

I was going to get 8/4 rough sawn walnut, but when I got there they showed me some 4/4 S2S walnut that was half the price, and once I realized it was cheap my brain shut off and I forgot I wanted it rough 8/4, not S2S 4/4. I then thought I could achieve a rough look by putting the cut edges facing outwards when laminating it into 2x2s (approx), but then after doing so I realized I couldn't line the edges up properly without cutting or planing it down. My only power saw is a circular saw which left too clean of an edge, and I don't have the skills to take off a thin layer of wood with my ripsaw, so I would have had to take off a prohibitive amount of wood to achieve a rough finish without an obvious seam between my laminated pieces.

TL;DR: Thanks to not thinking everything through properly before doing it, the rough look didn't work out, and my brother is going to have to accept a smooth look instead. Thanks for the advice though - now I know for next time!