Shop design

Bobby Slack

Since I started working in my garage, my shop is a mess. I never had a clear idea of how it will look etc.

Slowly in my head I start thinking and will make improvements one wall at the time.

What stops me is the location of the bench. I don't have a window on my shop ... but I could so that is not the problem. I am thinking of building a Roubo bench and in the back of it place a couple of Festool tables. What attracts me of the traditional bench is the mass because last time I flattened a big door my Festool tables were dancing la vida loca. Having the Festool tables will allow me to just use the Roubo for what is absolutely needed. Having four Festool tables will force me to think creatively.

I am also getting ready to acquire second hand a delta 13" planer and an 8" joiner so that is also good.

This is why I have no drawings yet and my head is spinning like many of you are at this moment and were.

Since I will make design mistakes for sure I will place as many cabinets as possible on casters and create a "modular" approach for flexibility purposes and also this will allow me to take my shop to Colorado for when I work in my cabin and also when I have to install outside my shop at a customer location.

With my new Sketchup Skills I can now play around on the configuration. More about this soon.

Some of you guys have published sketchup drawings on this forum. How do you do that?

Ah. Tomorrow I will erase everything on my computer and have a clean install of all programs. All pictures, articles, drawings, videos, music are already backed up.

sounds like a plan. good luck.

As for posting sketchup drawing - I export the image from sketchup using File->Export 2D graphics into a jpeg or png then attach it to the post here using the Full-Editor, once attached, you can click on the "add to post" next to the image and it'll add it to the actual post

Guess mine was never planned as much as it evolved. Started with just an assembly table top on saw horses then a small storage bench then... With each "acquisition", I had to think of where to put things. Things were definitely re-arranged a few times, but that's fine as each configuration was an improvement on the previous. It is likely just me, but if I had the contents of my shop on the driveway (I'd be nervous..), and empty garage, and graph paper (I remember that stuff!), I doubt I would have laid out the shop the way it is. Too many of the best points came about out of frustration because I originally had them "where it made sense" (but not sense in my garage).

Let chaos happen then go in there and rearrange a bit when something finally clicks on where it should be. I now have a 10x12 open area in the middle of the shop (well, okay, a CT-22 lives there) and love it. Seriously... I came home from a club, lil buzzed, and crawled around the crap everywhere. Then it hit me where the assembly table really needed to go to get 10x12 open. Yes, I did all the rearranging right then, in club attire :)

Thanks for this advice.

sounds like a plan. good luck.

As for posting sketchup drawing - I export the image from sketchup using File->Export 2D graphics into a jpeg or png then attach it to the post here using the Full-Editor, once attached, you can click on the "add to post" next to the image and it'll add it to the actual post

Paul, so far my garage/shop is following your situation for now, in a sense that things start to move where they fit and where they are handy. This weekend I realized that is better if I have the area under my Festool tables clear. Right now I made some plywood bases with casters underneath to support my Festool boxes and I roll them in and out and worked fine until I had to use my clamps under the tables.

I will see like this evolves. I think that if I plan my storage smarter the space will be more efficient so All my items like screws, dominos, sandpaper, etc ... treat them like a pantry where they will be stored and accessible in an efficient spot this will make room for other things.

A problem I have is that years ago I purchased a bunch of marine plywood and ended up with a lot of leftover pieces and have no project for them. These sheets were around $ 90.00 bucks a sheet so there is no way I will throw them away. These sheets will be great to make garage cabinets. I also thought about making cabinets for storage of plywood and have them "reside" in the outside of my garage and roll the cart in when I need it.

I think Vic said that everybody's garage and projects are so different that is very difficult to come for the perfect design for others.

One idea was to open the side of my garage to the side yard between my home and my neighbors so I don't have to open the garage and work in front of everybody when I need space. My theme is to "stay stealth" and use this space for as long as I can before I get a real shop.

Guess mine was never planned as much as it evolved. Started with just an assembly table top on saw horses then a small storage bench then... With each "acquisition", I had to think of where to put things. Things were definitely re-arranged a few times, but that's fine as each configuration was an improvement on the previous. It is likely just me, but if I had the contents of my shop on the driveway (I'd be nervous..), and empty garage, and graph paper (I remember that stuff!), I doubt I would have laid out the shop the way it is. Too many of the best points came about out of frustration because I originally had them "where it made sense" (but not sense in my garage).

Let chaos happen then go in there and rearrange a bit when something finally clicks on where it should be. I now have a 10x12 open area in the middle of the shop (well, okay, a CT-22 lives there) and love it. Seriously... I came home from a club, lil buzzed, and crawled around the crap everywhere. Then it hit me where the assembly table really needed to go to get 10x12 open. Yes, I did all the rearranging right then, in club attire :)

No my cars have not seen my garage for two years. One important thing to mention is that the concept I had for Gaucho Woodworking was to be mobile but lately I am doing all my work at my garage.

Bobby -

Does your garage/shop have to also function as a garage ... with cars parked in it?

If you do plan to go with a more stationary shop, one important thing to consider is dust collection. I designed my shop so the DC is in a closet toward the center of the shop, and the machines that require the most CFM to clear chips and dust are all located closest to that closet. The planer, jointer, and router table. Other machines like the bandsaw, table saw, and miter saw are at the further extremes since they don't need nearly as much pull. Of course if you are just using a mobile DC (or worst case no DC) this is less of an issue.

The dust collection an interesting point. Most of my tools today are Festool so that is taken care of but when I get my planer and joiner the dust collection will have to improve plus I will need 220 Volts which means a new panel for the garage. All these possible changes are making me take my time. For now the idea is to eliminate useless cabinets and make my storage more efficient. I would love to find a way to store my plywood safe and dry on the side of my home.

The dust collection an interesting point. Most of my tools today are Festool so that is taken care of but when I get my planer and joiner the dust collection will have to improve plus I will need 220 Volts which means a new panel for the garage. All these possible changes are making me take my time. For now the idea is to eliminate useless cabinets and make my storage more efficient. I would love to find a way to store my plywood safe and dry on the side of my home.

Two approaches. Specific versus planned. As much as I would like to map everything I think that my approach will be with gradual improvements and upgrading slowly.

Bobby -

As a general concept, it would be best to keep your shop as flexible as possible. You need time to work with the space that you have and see how it works for you. And then you can "rearrange the furniture" as needed and as time goes on.

For me, there are two kinds of power tools:

• Tools that move over the wood
  • Tools that have the wood fed through them

Tools that move over the wood (CMS, RAS, Drill press,etc) work very well along the wall. While tools that have the wood fed through them (TS, jointer, planer, drum sander) work best out in the middle.

Again, just my 2-cents.

Chester

• Like 1

Chester .... freaking BRILLIANT! Thank you for this one!

Bobby -

As a general concept, it would be best to keep your shop as flexible as possible. You need time to work with the space that you have and see how it works for you. And then you can "rearrange the furniture" as needed and as time goes on.

For me, there are two kinds of power tools:

• Tools that move over the wood
  • Tools that have the wood fed through them

Tools that move over the wood (CMS, RAS, Drill press,etc) work very well along the wall. While tools that have the wood fed through them (TS, jointer, planer, drum sander) work best out in the middle.

Again, just my 2-cents.

Chester

• 1 month later...

I'll add some more items about general shop design that are lessons learned from my recent endeavor. When I designed my shop it started with a 25' x 30' garage footprint.

I opted for a single 18' garage door. If I had to do it again I would get two separate doors. Here's why: 1) If I want to use the open door space as a backdrop for a spray booth (and I do!) it would be MUCH easier with smaller doors than one big door. 2) As time goes on and you collect more equipment you may find that one door is really blocked anyway but you can still leave the other door clear to move things in and out. With one big door you basically lose the use of on long wall of your shop. I do hav things along my door - my drill press and mortiser but it always feel weird when I open the door to see those machines sitting there with no wall. 3) With two separate doors you can put an outlet in the post between the doors which is a key spot if you don't want to have to run extension coords (something I vowed I would not need in my new shop).

I left the basic structure as a box - four walls. Now I'm seriously lacking wall space to hang things. It would be nice to have a small wall or two (only 4'-6' deep) to break up the space and give another 16'-24' of linear wall space. That's a lot of increase in wall space to hang things. You can only have so many drawer and shelved pretty soon you want to hang up your templates and jigs to get them out of the way. There has to be a compromise between open area and wall space, but I think I went a little two far in the open space direction.

I would seriously consider not using a garage type door. I have a man door and a set of double doors. I can get anything I build in and out. They take up much less real estate and also are much more energy efficient. Get a quality double door.

I would seriously consider not using a garage type door. I have a man door and a set of double doors. I can get anything I build in and out. They take up much less real estate and also are much more energy efficient. Get a quality double door.

You're right Vic. I built my shop to be my woodshop, but I still wanted it to be able to be used as an automotive garage for resale purposes. If I was building a shop that I knew would never be anything but a woodshop then I wouldn't put an overhead door on it either. However, if you DO need the option to use it as an automotive garage then I'd I'd use two doors rather than one.

You're right Vic. I built my shop to be my woodshop, but I still wanted it to be able to be used as an automotive garage for resale purposes. If I was building a shop that I knew would never be anything but a woodshop then I wouldn't put an overhead door on it either. However, if you DO need the option to use it as an automotive garage then I'd I'd use two doors rather than one.

I don't even have a concrete floor..so mine could only be a mother in law house if someone would be so inclined. They still tax the hell out of me for the "extra house"!!

I mentioned this approach to my wife and was shut down three times. I have an old garage lift door and hate it, I may do a door in a door. The garage door is down the line.

I completely agree with the wasted space of the garage lift doors.

• 2 weeks later...

I came home from a club, lil buzzed, and crawled around the crap everywhere. Then it hit me where the assembly table really needed to go to get 10x12 open. Yes, I did all the rearranging right then, in club attire :)

I'm not the only one who does this! Yay!

My sister used to hate when I rearranged my room. I'd start about 2:30 at night, and go until 7:00 AM. She had the room right next to mine. And most rearranging cannot be done without at least 17 expletives and two injuries.

As for garage doors, I'd go with the "carriage style" doors. These are the ones that are split vertically, and open out into the driveway. There's supposedly a couple of manufacturers that do power door openers for this style, but I haven't found one yet. These doors are popular as of a few years ago, and have the additional benefit of only opening one side up at a time (unless you find those power openers, that is). Plus, they take no overhead space.