Cedar boards for grilling?

Egraff

Hi All,

So in my family we like to use cedar boards to grill food on... you know? Like cedar-plank salmon? <smile>

Anyhow, these boards are always very expensive to buy at the food or big box store, so lately I've been thinking about making my own. I also thought they could be good simple gifts to give to people. Plus, it really would be incredibly simple and wouldn't take more than a few minutes.... just buy a big board, cut it up, and sand it a bit.

The only issue is, how can I be sure that the cedar I buy is untreated? I obviously don't want to poison anyone here, so I feel like that's making me overly paranoid about this. But I just don't know if I can trust the guy at the store saying that the wood is indeed untreated. I mean, I know what raw wood looks like, but as I said, the risk of potentially poisoning people is making me very paranoid.

Also, I don't know if there is any specific type of cedar that I should buy, or if any cedar would do.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the safety of this, or has anyone actually done it before? Of course I'd rather just go ahead and buy the pre-made expensive boards if there is any doubt about safety...

Many thanks! And apologies if this is a stupid question.... I just want to make sure I don't make a mistake here.

Just looking at some of the retail versions of the cedar planks, they look to be typical red cedar. I am thinking aromatic cedar might be too strong.

As for treating, if you can buy from the mill, you are probably safe. If you are buying your cedar from a big box store, I would be more careful, not that they would treat the cedar, but they may store the treated lumber and the cedar together, since both have similar uses. Transfer is very unlikely, and I have accidently had transfer from treated pine to cherry (from my own stupidity) and it was very obvious. The wood will be discolored and "oily".