Hardwoods in the St. Louis area

Bif10684

Norstate Hardwoods in St. Peters has beautiful domestics and a pretty good selection of exotics at very fair prices. Call Craig at (636) 485-5217 and he'll give you directions...can't remember the address...Triad Drive or something. You can see the building from Hwy 94. Tell him Eric sent you.

Don't even bother with St. Charles Hardwoods...high prices, mediocre selection, hairy eyeball employees.

The places I go isn't necessarily in the STL area (although STL area is a broad concept). I'll give you a few bookmarked suggestions first if you're closer to downtown to check out, but I know nothing of the places. There is Hibdon Hardwoods (http://www.hibdonhardwood.com). I also have a bookmark for LumberLogs (http://www.woodfinde...ings/012869.php). I could have SWORN I had information on a place around the Koken Art Factory downtown, but I can't find it, sorry.

As for the places I do go...St. Charles Hardwoods (St. Peters location) is not a bad place, probably the most flexible hours...which I say loosely, no hardwood places have particularly flexible hours (at least to the hobbiest with a day job). I personally haven't had an issue with the prices or selection. Not the tip-top best on prices sure, but not horrible compared to other places. There is also a St. Charles Hardwoods location closer to Gravois, but I know nothing about that place...maybe that's where you mentioned.

U-Pick Hardwoods (which may be the same place as Norstate based on the location stated by eric) is very good, as stated they are along Highway 94 right before the Mid Rivers Mall exit. Since they heavily revamped 94, you will need to exit sooner than you think now. Anyway, one thing worth mentioning is that they don't have plywood if you need that, so you'll have to fall back to St. Charles Hardwoods or elsewhere if you do.

Another place opened in St. Charles called WunderWoods, nice guy. He's located in a warehouse south of the 5th Street exit right as you go around the bend past QT, has a truck with an ad on the side parked out front (last I been there). His prices are probably the best of all the suggestions, though he works on his own hours (but typically very available). He's accommodating if you call him to arrange an appointment or see what he's got. I don't have his number handy as my wallet isn't nearby, but his website is http://wunderwoods.wordpress.com.

For what it's worth, Rockler and WoodCraft both do have hardwood, but not exactly price competitive or has the selection, of course. I only pick something up from there if I am in emergency need of something and all the other places aren't open or accessible.

thanks for the info i have been going to the st charles hardwoods on gravois and really wasnt that impressed with their selection. The other place I went was on green park in SoCo cant remember the name of the place but they were pretty much just a transfer station from their main store in poplar bluff they had a good selection of plywoods but not so much on other domestics and pretty much no exotics you. you pretty much had to order it and i like to kind of look through the pile. My dads buddy told me about lumberlogs on hall st. but since i work on the weekends its hard to get there the first sat of the month but i heard the prices are the best in the area. I will for sure check out norstate and wunderwoods thanks for the info.

Yeah, Norstate and U-Pick are the same...parent company name and subsidiary...or whatever. It's a small, one-man operation, so his prices are competitive...generally you can expect to pay at least 10% less than at St. Charles Hardwoods. Craig is there every weekday 8-5 and Saturdays until noon. He leaves for lunch sometimes so call ahead if you expect to be there around mid-day. I occasionally cover him if he's busy or out of town, so I can meet you up there if you can only make it during odd hours...I'm right around the corner.

It's true he doesn't have plywood yet, but I think he's considering it.

What species are you looking for?

The place in So County you're refering to is Schaller Brothers? I've purched quite a bit from them for big jobs such as a maple kitchen and another 12' built-in Mahogany job. And they have a good selection of plywoods. They have the best prices I've found but they only take cash or check and only open from 7-4 weekdays.

I use St. Charles hardwoods in Fenton only if I need a few sticks. I have a contractor deal with them so I get 10-15% off their retail pricing so it makes it a little better to tolerate.

I've used WoodnShop in the past when it was located near the airport. They had great selections especially of exotics but haven't been since they moved so far away.

I've been meaning to get to the LumberLogs place on the weekend sometime but haven't had the right project or time just yet.

I've been to Hibdon Hardwoods downtown but only on their day after Thanksgiving sale. Good selection of exotics but seemed pricey in general I felt.

I was just looking for alternatives to st Charles hardwoods, some place with better selection and more species to look at.

U-Pick / Norstate is definitely your place then. They do have a lot of interesting and drool-worthy stuff. One other thing to note on them, they were experimenting with selling rough wood at least as of a few months ago. (If you're going to plane it anyway...) At the time, the guy mentioned it wasn't moving very fast so I hope that's something they haven't given up on.

Anyone try the The Wood and Shop?

http://www.woodnshop.com/

I've seen that website, but can't say I've been there. Might be a decent Saturday morning drive one spring day if they're open on Saturdays.

U-Pick / Norstate is definitely your place then. They do have a lot of interesting and drool-worthy stuff. One other thing to note on them, they were experimenting with selling rough wood at least as of a few months ago. (If you're going to plane it anyway...) At the time, the guy mentioned it wasn't moving very fast so I hope that's something they haven't given up on.

That's something I harp on Craig about every time I see him...to stock more rough material. He says that the vast majority of his customers actually WANT the surfaced stuff, which just amazes me. Guess they're either contractors wanting to knock jobs out quickly, or hobbyists without the ability to mill.

The one advantage to the surfaced material is you get a better idea what you're buying, in terms of grain appearance...that's especially helpful if you're wanting figured boards or expensive exotics. But since even the surfaced material won't be perfectly straight and flat once you get it home, it can be tough to maintain the thickness needed for many projects after milling a second time. Plus rough is cheaper. I'll keep on him about it.

In the meantime, I'll list a few of the exotics I can remember he has stocked, just FYI:

Peruvian walnut

Canarywood

Purpleheart

Yellowheart

Catalox

Lacewood

Honduran mahogany

African mahogany

Padauk

Bubinga

Sapele

Bocote

Ebony (small pieces)

Tigerwood

Wenge

I'm sure I'm missing a few, and he has plans to expand the selection.

He also has all the usual domestics at reasonable prices. He has some amazing tiger maple, and some awesome walnut crotch slabs that just scream Nakashima. Clean cherry, maple, oak, ash, hickory and walnut. Some very nice QSWO with heavy ray fleck.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah Tim, I still cover weekends for him on occasion...not really a true employee but I do "work" there a bit for the, uh, benefits. :)

Hey recover, I'll be up there next Saturday and Sunday...stop by if you have a chance and say howdy.  We can talk shop for a bit and it's good to put faces to the WTO names!

And just a quick update for those interested: He's beefed up the selection of exotics, added mouldings, and he'll be carrying quality ply pretty soon.  I believe he'll have walnut, cherry, oak and maple.  I'm trying to get him to carry baltic birch in the future too but don't know if he will.  

• Like 1

Quickly skimmed and didn't see anyone mention DNC Resources. It's on 3 right outside Alton. Just went two weeks ago. Nice guys. All local woods, mostly from tree trimmers. Lots of slabs.

And Hibdon is always enjoyable. Except I feel like I'm visiting a mafia hide-out every time I go.

Consider this an endorsement for Norstate / U-Pick out in St. Peters. Absolutely crazy selection, plenty of exotics and some really nice looking live-edge slabs. Unfortunately (or maybe it's a good thing) I was in my car and couldn't walk out of there with too much or hurt my wallet. I did however get enough red oak to wrap up the book case I've been putting off finishing for so long. I'll definitely be back at some point to stock up for the next project. 

Also, nice meeting you today Eric. You're not as old as you look in your forum avatar :)

Nice to meet you too!  Bring your truck next time.  And a second mortgage. :D

The guy in my avatar is my Grandpop in an alternate universe.

And for you St. Louisans, new weekend hours at U-Pick are Sat 8-4 and Sun 11-4..at least through fall and winter.  Stop by and say hi.  I'll likely be here most weekends.